Complete with Refill Am I ready to SLAM?

Any really old heaters attached to the pool?

You stated in your first post that the pool water was clear and green. Usually pool water that starts with an algae bloom gets cloudy at first then goes murky green. If you have no sources of metals possibly entering the water, then I would continue to SLAM until things start clearing up.

Are your testing reagents fresh?

No heaters. The TF100 test kit is less than 1 month old. I have only owned the house for a couple of months so I don't have a lot of history. I guess you could call the water murky green but it does have a bit of clarity to it. Before I drained the 75% to drop the CYA it was about the same color without the touch of clarity. As I filled the pool the water turned a milky green. Initial chlorine seemed to start clearing it up. I am going to keep FC at shock level and run the filter continuously until it clears up. I don't know what else I can do. The water company allows only 1 pool fill per year so I have the water I have. It still bothers me that the FC is not being consumed. I won't be here to brush tomorrow so we will see how a day of just running the filter affects things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I checked your annual water quality report for the City of Port Orange (let me guess, you guys grow citrus?) which can be found HERE. Nothing unusual but, like most water suppliers, iron levels are not reported because the EPA does not consider iron a contaminant. So, it's always possible to have iron problems but probably not the likely cause of your green water.

Stay the course is your best option and maintain your FC. As others have mentioned, you definitely need to work on your filter issues (bigger cartridge filter or go with a sand filter) but that's a long-term project.

You've got plenty of good advice so far so keep us updated and, if you can, get us pictures.

Good luck,

Matt

checked this morning before sunrise. FC was 25. Filter ran all night with almost no pressure increase. Added 1 jug 6% to target FC of 28. I am happy to see a FC drop without sunlight involved. I will not be home to brush any today. If I get home before sunset I will take some photos.

Thanks to all for you r help

Is this a typo?

Haha, certainly reads a little weird, eh?

Not a typo. OP had a green pool but, when he shocked it, the FC loss was a lot less than expected. Normally a green, cloudy pool drinks bleach like Kool-Aid. The OPs pool was only very slowly consuming FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Not a typo. The FC did not drop and the water stayed green. At least now that the FC is falling I can assign a reason to the green/cloudy water. Otherwise ?????

I live by the philosophy that I never make a change without knowing the expected result. Working in power generation and balancing boiler water chemistry taught me that. When I don't get the expected result it drives me nuts until I figure it out.

I live by the philosophy that I never make a change without knowing the expected result.

You will do well at TFP! That is our philosophy also. We like people to know what anything they add to their water will do to it unlike many pool stores that make recommendations based on profit or by throwing a dart at the wall:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is my task for you........when you can take this picture.......looking straight down at your steps take a picture. You will take this same picture each day if possible and post it here. You can become a supporting member for more picture storage and it helps us keep the lights on!

The pictures will help you and us watch the color change as you kill the algae monster living in your water. The changes will be so slight that you will not notice them with your eyes alone. When you see the pictures to compare day to day you will see the change. It will help you know you are heading in the right direction!

Kim

Got it, I will start posting photos in the morning. A LOT of rain here today. Draining down the excess tonight. Tested the water & FC is around 27. The water clarity seems to be quite a bit better but I didn't get home till after the Sun took a nap so it is hard to really tell. I also have not been here to brush all day.

When I drained this down 80% to get the CYA down I had to brush & hose a LOT... I mean a LOT of sandy / crystaline debris off the walls and bottom. I am thinking I may have refilled too soon anspent another day on the low water cleanup should have I just was not comfortable leaving it drained down for longer than absolutely necessary.

Got it, I will start posting photos in the morning. A LOT of rain here today. Draining down the excess tonight. Tested the water & FC is around 27. The water clarity seems to be quite a bit better but I didn't get home till after the Sun took a nap so it is hard to really tell. I also have not been here to brush all day.

When I drained this down 80% to get the CYA down I had to brush & hose a LOT... I mean a LOT of sandy / crystaline debris off the walls and bottom. I am thinking I may have refilled too soon anspent another day on the low water cleanup should have I just was not comfortable leaving it drained down for longer than absolutely necessary.
Well, having lived in Florida 32 years I have proven that if you stick a shovel in the ground you can hit water in most of FL. You are correct to be cautious of a high water table and draining too low or too long.

Oh, you can brush in the dark:D

Lots of rain last night and had to drain aout 6" to keep up with the rainfall. Tested at 11:30 pm FC 25. Added 1 jug of 6%
Test this morning. FC 24. Added 1 jug 8.25 % to target FC of 28. Not much rain overnight.

Vacuumed this morning to remove the dead worms. The filter was plugged with a sandy substance after vacuuming (plaster agregate?) See Photo

I am attaching photos of the steps as requested

Steps at Shallow end.jpg
Steps at deep end.jpg
Sample from filter.jpg

I have been brushing & vacuuming most of the day. The brown sediment collected by the filter seems to be reducing. The filter is no longer plugging immediately after brushing or vacuuming; however, I have cleaned the filter 5 times today.

1:00 Test - FC 29
6:00 Test - FC 26 - Added 1/2 jug of 6%

I think my primary battle is with sediment/ silt rather than algae. I plan on performing the OCLT tomorrow night to get a better judge of that.
Water clarity has not changed much today & is probaly a little more cloudy than this morning due to the brushing activity. If I had to assign a color it would be milky green .

View attachment 45014

View attachment 45015

The sediment/ silt is algae, probably mainly dead algae. You can do the OCLT but with those photos you have a ways to go.

Remember

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear - you see no living or dead algae.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

You had an FC loss rate of 3ppm x (24hrs/day/ 5 hrs) = 14.4ppm/day

A clean & balanced pool only loses ~ 2-3 ppm/day and maybe as much as 4ppm/day in hot swim season weather.

I think you still have a ways to go. Keep brushing, backwashing and chlorinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

You are heading in the right direction! Just keep going for a while longer before you bother with the OCLT. I would wait until you have a clear pool really. Good job on the brushing! That will really help the clearing.

The color is what we will watch in the pictures. It will be cloudy with all of the brushing but the that will not really change the color. The algae dying is what will change the color.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.