Lifespan of cartridge filter housing (not the cartridges)

Oct 7, 2013
DFW, TX
I've seen numerous threads about the lifespan of individual cartridges, but what is the general lifespan of fiberglass housing the cartridge filters?

I've got a 14 year old pool, been at the house for 6 years. There are some small cracks at the base where some water is bypassing the filters. I'm wondering if it's just a natural part of a filter housing past its prime or a sign of something more serious.

I suspect a lot has to do with the unit's direct exposure to the elements (UV sunlight, heat, etc). My filter unit is on the west side so it takes a beating in the summer, but I created a type of sunscreen shade to take some stress off of it. I saw on one site where 10 years was a good baseline. 14 years is a pretty good run though. If you're seeing cracks with water beginning to leak, it's probably a good indication it's time for a swap. Depending upon the nature of the crack and location, some folks have tried other (interim) methods (i.e. JB Weld, plastic welding, etc), but that's never as good as a replacement. Last thing you want is for it to rupture when you're not home and run your pump dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.