Switch from Hayward to Pentair?

Jul 18, 2012
Upstate, SC
Hello all, I have a relatively new Hayward Ecostar VSP that sounds horrible. This pump is going on it's 3rd summer and it sounds like the bearings are going bad (I've worked on cars for decades). I keep my pool open year round so there isnt much "down" time for it although I do run it much less now vs. the summer.

After searching online I found a lot of bad reviews on the Ecostar and Hayward from bearings to main boards. My board did flip out on me once but I fixed it myself.

My pump was never registered with Hayward when it was installed and I havent got a clue where the paperwork ended up for an actual receipt so I am guessing I am out of luck with warranty.

Several local builders here no longer or never did sell Hayward, they all swear by Pentair. Some tell me it was just their preference when they started their company, others tell me they had a lot of issues with Hayward products. The local commercial warehouse/pool supply sells both but it isnt open to the general public. In my neighborhood of 11 pools most of them have Pentair but that is due to them using one of the local builders that only sold or installed Pentair. My personal pool builder now only sells Pentair.

I do have 2 local Hayward dealers that are willing to repair or replace my pump. I was hoping for some feedback here on brand preference or long term reviews. I do NOT plan on replacing it (if it needs a full replacement) with a new VSP. My pool requirements are minimal as you can see in my sig line. I dont even use the pressure side vacuum or actual vacuum anymore as I have a robotic cleaner. The only time I ever run the pump higher than normal is maybe during a pool party or during the fall to skim leaves faster. I just want a reliable 2 speed pump this time around. The VSP was thrown in during my first pool installation due to a handful of problems so I didnt care at the time. I would probably never have bought it in the first place.

My pool requirements are minimal as you can see in my sig line. I dont even use the pressure side vacuum or actual vacuum anymore as I have a robotic cleaner. The only time I ever run the pump higher than normal is maybe during a pool party or during the fall to skim leaves faster. I just want a reliable 2 speed pump this time around.

I'm a Pentair guy, but like Dave said, the big three are Pentair, Hayward & Jandy....just like Ford, Chrysler and Chevrolet....

One thing I would stress is this - if you do switch to a 2-speed pump, be ABSOLUTELY certain that there is sufficient water flow to run your SWG on low speed. We have seen this mistake many times here on TFP where a pool owner gets a 2-speed that has too little flow and they cannot run their SWG on low speed. This forces them to run at full speed for most of the time the pump is on and totally negates the financial benefits of having a 2-speed pump.

I wish I had some personal experience on the Hayward VS pump so I could provide some useful input. But I dont. Im not in the pool biz so seeing lots of different products in person isn't something likely to happen for me. Ive heard good and bad for both Hayward and for Pentair.
I suppose to each their own.

I do have the Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and I love the thing. I've only had it going on 3 years though, so time will tell about its longeviety.
I will make one additonal comment though. I think the pentair pumps have a better finish than hayward. The Intelliflo is a pretty pump! :)

Thanks for the tips, especially about the SWG flow! That is something I would never have thought of. Love this forum! I am actually considering dumping the SWG when the cell dies off and just doing the BBB method. For the price of a replacement cell I can buy a lot of bleach! I use bleach all winter anyway since it is too cold for the SWG to run. I think my SWG may be dying off already as well. I need to keep it cranked up in order to keep the chlorine high enough during the summer even after multiple acid baths to clean the plates off.

Thanks for the tips, especially about the SWG flow! That is something I would never have thought of. Love this forum! I am actually considering dumping the SWG when the cell dies off and just doing the BBB method. For the price of a replacement cell I can buy a lot of bleach! I use bleach all winter anyway since it is too cold for the SWG to run. I think my SWG may be dying off already as well. I need to keep it cranked up in order to keep the chlorine high enough during the summer even after multiple acid baths to clean the plates off.

Then look into a Stenner pump for bleach injection. FC delivery automation is a nice thing to have for those odd times when you absolutely can't be near the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Also, excessive FC demand on an SWG pool can be an indication of an algae bloom or a low level algae problem.

You should perform an overnight chlorine loss test to determine if you need to SLAM your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, excessive FC demand on an SWG pool can be an indication of an algae bloom or a low level algae problem.

You should perform an overnight chlorine loss test to determine if you need to SLAM your pool.

Oh, BTDT a few times! I am well aware of SLAM after having algae issues in the past. I have a pool in full sun 90% of the day during the summer with 3 kids 8 yrs and under that pretty much live in the pool 7 days a week when we're home. I also used to run my FC at the low end of the scale but have since bumped that up to around 4.5 or so and that has kept all old issues in check.

Oh, BTDT a few times! I am well aware of SLAM after having algae issues in the past. I have a pool in full sun 90% of the day during the summer with 3 kids 8 yrs and under that pretty much live in the pool 7 days a week when we're home. I also used to run my FC at the low end of the scale but have since bumped that up to around 4.5 or so and that has kept all old issues in check.

Sounds good. Definitely check out Stenner pumps for automation of FC delivery if you decide to ditch the SWG. You can buy a lot of bleach for the price of a replacement cell but then you'll also have to test and dose daily. That can get real old real fast.

Bearings and a new seal are a lot cheaper than a new pump.

The AquaRite has a pretty low flow requirement compared to other SWG brands and should work with most 2-speed pumps that have descent plumbing.

Running the FC at the low end usually asks for trouble. Make sure you are following our guidelines for SWG's, Water Balance for SWCGs.

Wanted to run this by everyone as I think these prices are a bit high.....

Fix my Hayward Ecostar with new motor, tax, labor - $856.00 (Motor is $687, labor $127)

Replace with a Pentair Superflo VSP (not sure what model) - $1462 (Pump $1214, Labor $170)

Replace with a Pentair Whisperflo 2spd - Pump $998 / Labor $170 plus a timer of some sort

You can buy the 3hp Pentair Inteliflow VS 011018 pump online for $850 with free shipping. You may also qualify for a rebate. That's the pump I have and I love it.

I thought those prices were ridiculous. When I asked if it was the Inteliflo vs. the middle range model she laughed and said no that price was for the Super. I did bring up pricing online that I can buy direct and was trying to tell me that they are not authorized dealers for Pentair and that my warranty would only be 1 year vs. up to 3 years if bought from a local dealer.

I've done a good amount of home wiring and construction including plumbing so I may just have a go at installing it myself. I've never wired anything to 220 but I have two breakers (main box and at the equipment pad) that I can make sure are off!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.