Just joined from Macclenny Florida

Jaxcmc

Platinum Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
Macclenny Florida
Just retired from the Navy, and bought a house outside Jacksonville Fl. Being a previous pool owner, I have some experience however far far from giving anyone any advice. My new pool is not the normal pool. It was built by an electrical engineer who worked with Georgia Pacific. It is 40 Ft long,And just over 20 feet wide. It has a 12 foot deep end and I estimate it holds around 47K in water. Two skimmers, two bottom drains in the deep end, and 24 jets. In the back I have a 2 hp generic motor and a 24 inch around jacuzzi sand filter. I believe someone changed the power equipment after he passed away, because it's very underpowered. I will start a new thread asking lots of questions.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 77
If you can swing it, you need a larger filter........that will do more to keep your pool clear than the pump will. at least a 30" filter and a 36" filter would be even better.

The two-speed pump will do just fine but it is a bit too big. A 2 hp 2-speed would have been more energy efficient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can swing it, you need a larger filter........that will do more to keep your pool clear than the pump will. at least a 30" filter and a 36" filter would be even better.

The two-speed pump will do just fine but it is a bit too big. A 2 hp 2-speed would have been more energy efficient.

I bought a Hayward 36" around filter that holds 700lbs of sand. I have 24 jets and I could only run 1 set with just one skimmer with the 2hp rig. I may have over compensated, but wanted to get more circulation. I wised I would have joined before I started buying stuff....

Too much pump???

In my continuing education on pools, another question ( you guys are going to get sick of me)

OK the pool supply store in Jacksonville told me if I use the 3HP pump even with an xtra large filter I will split the filter in half. Needless to say, this concerned me. Even though I have listed my pool info on another thread I will relist here to help the pros (you guys) tell me what you think

47,000gal rectangle pool (40x20) 12 foot deep end.
24 jets
2 skimmers ( 75 feet from pumping station)
2 bottom drains in deep end
2 vacuum connections
Before I found this site I purchased the following equipment

Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter
36" Tank Includes 2" Top Mount Vari-Flo Valve | S360T2

Pentair WhisperFloXF 3HP Energy Efficient
2-Speed Pool Pump 208V 230V XFDS-12 | 022008

The system that was on their when I bought the house was a generic 2hp pump and a 24 inch around sand filter. I could not operate but just 1 bank of jets and 1 skimmer to get any circulation, seemed very underpowered. Thought I figured out all the math...any thoughts???

Re: Too much pump???

No pool pump will split the filter in half. Either they are exaggerating for effect or they don't know what they are talking about. A 3hp pump will pump a LOT of water. I never run my 3hp VS pump at full speed, the amount of water flow is pretty crazy. I would take a look at getting a VS pump, having total control over the amount of water flow is really great.

3hp, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018
1-1/2hp, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

More info here on updating your signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I'm not sure about "split the filter in half" but I do agree that 3HP is probably overkill. I am far from a pump expert, so I will leave the details to those who are. I will just say that the common theme around here is that people try to buy too large a pump and too small a filter.

Welcome and thank you so much for your service.

I find it hilarious the garbage pool stores will come up with to scare customers into doing what they want. That, *split your filter* is a new one.

Hope you enjoy TFP. Love your pool!

Just wanted to say thanks for the great advise. I finished my rebuild (finally)... The 36" filter is perfect. The pumping station didn't turn out like it was originally planned due to height issue with the pump and the original water supply pipes...however it's working great, and pushes all 24 jets with no problems....now on the pool school!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 21