Struggling to open sand filter

May 24, 2015
Sydney, australia
Hello,

I've been looking at the instructions for deep cleaning a sand filter. I have been watching videos on youtube but I cannot work out how to open our filter safely.

Here is a pic of the filter and pump set up: https://www.facebook.com/KeelieReader/media_set?set=a.10156514336535422.1073741832.855875421&type=3.

Everything I am reading talks about depressurising the filter and draining it before opening and I have no idea how to do this.

I cannot find a plug on the bottom of the filter nor do the instructions indicate that one exists.

The filter instructions say to open all air bleeds, close isolated valves where fitted and remove pipes.

Where are the air bleeds and valves? Is that a valve at the front of the pump? It also looks like a little plug at the front of the pump - is that what I use?

Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Keelie

Not every filter has air bleeds, and you don't need to drain it to deep clean it. Set the valve by the pump to off and plug the return line if you can. Then loosen the unions on the multiport valve and take it off the tank. At this point you should be able to follow the filter cleaning directions.

The return line is the pipe that sends the water back into the pool from the filter (the eyeball looking things in your pool where the water comes out into the pool). They sell plugs for them OR you can use a carrot (silly huh? but .....). You are trying to stop water from coming back to the filter when you open it.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.