Jan 8, 2016
Pearland, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I just opened and cleaned the Pentair FNS 60 DE filter. I removed and reinstalled the bottom drain plug to clean the filter. I put some teflon tape on the plug threads. Reassembled the filter. Loaded the new DE. Now I found out I have a drip out of the bottom plug.I tried tightening but it is still dripping. Any suggestions? If I drain the water to remove the plug and put dope on it, do I have to backwash and replace the DE again?

I have a Hayward DE filter and I'm pretty sure my drain plug has an O-ring sealing it.

Draining it through the drain plug won't remove all of the DE, but the problem is you won't know how much you lost. So how would you know what to add unless you backwash and refill (80% of the labeled charge). Check for an O-ring on the drain plug, if there is one, adding Teflon tape is what made it leak.

So, I should not add teflon tape? Or thread dope even? Just rely on the O-ring? Kind of makes sense. I was getting ready to do the backwash tomorrow and was planning on applying the thread sealant...

As the chief said, no t-tape and check the oring. They get old and dried out over time and can easily break apart and fall off when you open the plug. Not seeing it makes you think there's nothing there and then, viola!, you have drip.

Same thing happens on the pump drain plugs. The orings get forgotten about and you spring a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I backwashed the filter and removed the drain plug. I removed all the teflon tape. I also removed the o-ring, applied silicon to it and placed it back on the plug. I reinstalled the plug and it sealed perfectly. Thanks to Chief and JoyfulNoise for their advise !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.