What does pollen look like?

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
My numbers are all in balance, the water is sparkling clear and chlorine has been holding great, but I keep having to vacuum off stuff that looks like sand from the bottom of my pool. Sometimes it's not easy to get up and I have to keep going over it to get it all up. The pollen is HORRIBLE here right now, so I'm wondering if that's what it is.

Different kinds of pollen look different. Some pollen does look very much like sand. If you can get some in your hand, pollen doesn't feel anything like sand, even though it looks similar. Sand is hard and gritty. Pollen will be softer and a tiny bit slimy.

NicInNC,

I have the same thing here. Sometimes, when it's really a bad pollen day, my water will actually take on a greenish tint. Just keep your cleaner going and your water balanced and you'll be fine. Pollen is a temporary and predictable thing. You may notice that the more windy it is, the worse it seems to get. Par for the course though.

I am dealing with the same thing NicInNC. As soon as I get done vacuuming, I have a pile of stuff in the middle of the pool just like this...

I just deal with it. I figure by the end of May, it will all just be a memory. :mrgreen:

We're having this now too, for the very first time. Some of the clumps are pretty big. When I get the net and try to net it, it comes apart and dirties the water. I can catch most of it in the net. We've had the pollen stuff for some time now and this is different than the soft poofy stuff we've been dealing with.

I have been battling this problem too for 2 years now. I thought I was dealing with mustard algae but now am convinced that its pollen that does not get caught in the sand filter. These are brown spots that appear mostly in the dips and uneven parts of the bottom of the pool. They NEVER form on the walls and are easily 'swooped' away when you are in the water walking over them. Frustrating to say the least because this stuff is obviously too tiny for the sand filter to catch and comes back within a day of being vacuumed.
I am currently trying the DE in the sand filter trick.
Jason, do you have any other ideas for us in getting the pollen out of our water?

During pollen season there will always be some pollen in the pool. You can minimize the amount of pollen you see by making sure your circulation is good and surface debris is getting pushed into the skimmer and by using skimmer socks.

It can also help to spread your pump run time out across the day, if your timer allows that. That way the pool never goes too long without circulation. Nearly all pollen floats at first. The longer it goes before getting pushed into a skimmer, the more of it will sink to the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.