New Pool Build, First Time Pool Owner out of DFW

This is our first pool build, so I joined this forum and I am encourage to find such an abundance of information. We live in North Texas were there is a bunch of clay, so we had chemical injections done two days ago. Yesterday, we had the gunite shot in the pool. I have taken time lapse photos of most of the project, so when I came home yesterday to review the film I was disappointed to find what appeared, to my unexperienced eye, to be the use of rebound to shape the sun bench, steps and brushed in to the floor of the pool.

I went with a reputable PB in this area with 25 years of experience and they weren't the lowest bid by far. I didn't mind the extra cash because of their reputation and piece of mind that it afforded us. But know I'm not so sure.

I am uploading some pics of the final product, I am still getting the video together that I will upload later for your review. What do you think?

Re: Gunite, New Pool, First Time Pool Owner, Rebound?

Sounds great, and we would love to see it. Nice area NRH, so I imagine this will be a fabulous pool.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay!!!

I doubt you will find any shotcrete / gunnite crew that doesn't use rebound. I know my pool builder didn't haul away a pile of dried up rebounded concrete, so where did it go? If it makes you feel any better, the floor and sun shelf are probably 12" thick, so that concrete probably will never crack.

When they shot my pool, they originally made the sun shelf 18" deep... which I caught while they were still working. They had to bring it up to 12" and during that process I saw them shovel some concrete up there. I probably have about 12" -16" of concrete thickness on my shelf. I'm not worried in the least.

I love your design! Fits so well in your yard!

Have you been bonding with your pool? aka watering?

Do you have a test kit yet? You are getting real close to needing it. Look in my siggy for the one we use and love.

What did you pick for tile and plaster?

Kim

Your PB and Gunite crew are separate. They are almost always a sub. There are probably only one or two gunite crews that service your area. Not a lot of choice.

I'm not going to say using rebound is ok because you can just search the forum and find problems with rebound. If its a problem it may take a while to show up. Problems in steps and spa seats are common and of course the floor. Areas where the rebound ends up or have to be shaped. A certain amount will happen no matter what you do.

What is your warranty from the PB? Lifetime? Show him the time lapse and ask for your lifetime warranty to be transferable. Not great but better than nothing.

You can't show any harm now. It may take years for problems to develop if they ever do. What do you want-- jackhammer out and reshoot? And then you will have a cold joint. Not necessarily a problem but is that really better?

Thank you! Well I was planning to bond with it today, but someone came to seal the pool with some water base sealant that is suppose to help preventing mold from coming through tile. So PB said i didn't have to water today. So, i just sat a chair outside and drank a beer with my pool. I will pick up a kit next week. We picked pebble sheen blue granite.

- - - Updated - - -

Your PB and Gunite crew are separate. They are almost always a sub. There are probably only one or two gunite crews that service your area. Not a lot of choice.

I'm not going to say using rebound is ok because you can just search the forum and find problems with rebound. If its a problem it may take a while to show up. Problems in steps and spa seats are common and of course the floor. Areas where the rebound ends up or have to be shaped. A certain amount will happen no matter what you do.

What is your warranty from the PB? Lifetime? Show him the time lapse and ask for your lifetime warranty to be transferable. Not great but better than nothing.

You can't show any harm now. It may take years for problems to develop if they ever do. What do you want-- jackhammer out and reshoot? And then you will have a cold joint. Not necessarily a problem but is that really better?

The structure warranty from the PB is Lifetime. I don't know much about pools i was just hoping that if anything was done poorly that we can catch and fix it before it was too late.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt you will find any shotcrete / gunnite crew that doesn't use rebound. I know my pool builder didn't haul away a pile of dried up rebounded concrete, so where did it go? If it makes you feel any better, the floor and sun shelf are probably 12" thick, so that concrete probably will never crack.

When they shot my pool, they originally made the sun shelf 18" deep... which I caught while they were still working. They had to bring it up to 12" and during that process I saw them shovel some concrete up there. I probably have about 12" -16" of concrete thickness on my shelf. I'm not worried in the least.
Thanks for the reply it does make me feel at ease.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

LOL only because I had an early night last night!

That IS some pretty tile! I can't wait to see it in the pool with the sun shining on it. It will BLING out for sure!

Kim
Thank, hopefully they will be done by Friday and I can post some picks. They are also placing the tile on the sun bench, step and step out.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You, my PB has works with some really talented designers. Here is a link to one of the designers website: FARLEY POOL DESIGNS - Mike Farley Pool Designer

- - - Updated - - -

I sent you a PM about your build.
Got it, i hit you back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.