Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new, just getting started

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new, just getting started

So I am new to the TFP forums and the BBB method, and I am excited to try it. We bought a house 1.5 yrs ago with a pool, and managed to keep it relatively clean last summer. Really had no clue what we were doing though. I just found this website, and want to try the suggestions. The pool was uncovered this winter (in Texas) and right now it looks like a dark green swamp. I read the article on cleaning a swamp and bought the TF100 kit. Today I am finally ready to get started on it. Here are my numbers:
    Cl 0
    pH 8.0
    TA 160
    Ca 180
    CYA 0

I realize I need to fix the pH and CYA, and am planning on running to the store shortly to pick up some muriatic acid and enough stabilizer to raise the CYA to 20. I just put in the first round of bleach and after 30 mins my FC was 1.0 and CC was 5.5!!
    Why is my CC so high? Is it just because of the ton of algae? How do I get it down? Do I keep adding more bleach? I will appreciate any advice.
    16K gal, plaster, with DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new, just getting started

Your on the right track, your CC is so high because of the algae that's being killed by the bleach. Over time and all the algae is killed your CC will return to 0. At this point you will need to keep testing and adding bleach hourly to keep it at shock level.
    The experts will be along soon to give you even better advice.
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, 98xc600 has it right. Just get the PH adjusted and CYA started first, and then go for the chlorine as described in the article.

Good Luck!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Weird, I just added about 3 cycles of bleach over the last couple hours. I was about to run to the store and thought I would double check my pH first. Its now reading at 7.5. I haven't added any acid yet? Why would it go down so much? My Cl levels seem to be doing okay I guess.
    1st 30 mins:
    FC 1
    CC 5.5

2nd 30 mins:
    FC 5
    CC 3

3rd 30 mins:
    FC 7
    CC 5

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you circulate the water for an hour or more before doing the first test? If the water is not throughly mixed the test results can be off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been working hard on the pool all weekend, and the chlorine level was finally starting to hold some. Its now a lighter green, but I still can't see the bottom. I backwashed it several times. This last time I backwashed it and cleaned the pool basket. I can't get the pump to prime now though. I've tried everything I can think of to get it going, but now luck. I don't want to lose all my work from this weekend The pump is ancient. From what I can tell it is an Aqua Flo A series and not the original motor. My best guess is that the pump seal went because it has been leaking a bit around the shaft. I am no expert though, and it could be anything. Any suggestions on keeping the algae from bouncing back before I can get the pump going again?

7. Back To Top    #7

Rent a submersible pump that will allow you to at least circulate the water in the pool....?

Can't help on the pump situation. I'm sure equipment experts will be along shortly.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com