New Build in Cave Creek, AZ - UPDATED WITH PICS :)

kbean

Jan 29, 2016
CAVE CREEK
Hi all, new here and clueless about building a pool. Thought I'd get some opinions from some experts for peace of mind. We're in Cave Creek, AZ and have gotten bids from 2 small companies and 2 large companies so far. The two small companies are higher than expected. One of the larger companies is about $10-12k more than the other large company, which was to be expected as they think they are the biggest and best. I'm not sure I'm comparing apples to apples between these two companies, but honestly I don't think I feel comfortable with the higher one when he tried to tell my husband and I that Mexican travertine (we're doing travertine decking) is a superior product to Turkish travertine. It probably completely depend on the quarry it comes from rather than country of origin, but it totally rubbed me the wrong way when I did my own research and found his claim to be untrue. He was also quick to attest to why his product is superior on many items, when in reality, it probably isn't. I'm thinking they pull this tactic to try and justify why they are $10-12k more, but I'm not buying it so I kind of put them on the shelf.

This leaves the one large company and a smaller company who has great reviews but has not yet supplied an updated bid. I have one from last year that seemed semi reasonable so we called them back, but they have yet to send the updated one so we're still waiting on that. For the time being I was hoping someone could shed some insight on the bid I have posted here. This is from the larger company, simply for the pool and gas lines, it does not include masonry work, stone columns and their plumbing, travertine decking, etc. We're thinking about going through their landscaper for all of that. Two things that will be removed from this bid are the UV (after reading that for our type of pool it won't benefit, this was my husband's want) and we are also going to get the firepots through our landscaper since we don't want the round Tuscan ones they proposed, so that will come off as well, revising it to $43,910.69.

Is there anything on here that we should be cautioned of, overpriced (haha, I use this term loosely) or a system listed that is of sub-par quality? We are on a budget so anything on here that doesn't make sense to have? Anything problematic? I've posted a rendering of what we're planning for the final product (with a tweak here or there). This really is just the bare bones for the pool. I'll post in the landscaping forum about what he's estimated for that part of the project. Thanks SO much.

poolquote.jpgrender.jpg

Re: New Build in Cave Creek, AZ

kbean, the one thing that I noticed was the quote of $603 for the Ozone product. You may want to reconsider that one. See THIS THREAD as to why. In short, outdoor pools generally don't need one. Mother Nature :sun: does just fine oxidizing combined chlorines and such on her own. Best of luck on your new pool.

kbean, the one thing that I noticed was the quote of $603 for the Ozone product. You may want to reconsider that one. See THIS THREAD as to why. In short, outdoor pools generally don't need one. Mother Nature :sun: does just fine oxidizing combined chlorines and such on her own. Best of luck on your new pool.

Thank you, will look into that. Another thing my husband wants :)

Can't help with the cost as I'm in Houston, TX. Mine was what your bid is without the spa. My pool design is very similar to yours though. Check out my build thread.

Can't help with the cost as I'm in Houston, TX. Mine was what your bid is without the spa. My pool design is very similar to yours though. Check out my build thread.

Thank you - I'll check it out. Your comment helps though because it means to me that they aren't way off the mark and it may actually be a good deal, if I dare say?

similar to mine. we did not have a heater or spa, but did have 2 spill pots, water sheer, and bubbler, and our price total was about what yours is. We also had travertine deck/patio.

What is the deck chlorinator? The TFP method advises liquid chlorination (via manual addition or perhaps pump), or salt system chlorination. If that chlorinator in the price is some sort of chlorine puck receptacle, that can go too (editL especially in Arizona). It's hard to tell from the drawing but your pool is about 12-25' or so? That's about my dimensions, I'm at about 11000 gallons, and it's no problem at all to manually chlorinate.

Now, they have you using 3 pumps, did I read that right? A VS upgrade from the basic included model, then the booster pump (what is this for?) and another pump for the spa. Again, I don't have a spa so others can help, but I don't see why one good sized varispeed pump can't handle that pool and spa.

I see you opted for the android/iPhone remote. Are you going to be playing with your phone near the pool, or with wet pool hands? I have Hayward equipment, so YMMV, but we have a remote on a cradle in the house and we can turn on the features/lights and change all the settings from within the house, and it's water proof to boot. Just something to consider.

another edit: do you have any way to fill the pool partially with softened water, or have a water softener for your house that feeds the rear auto-fill bib?

similar to mine. we did not have a heater or spa, but did have 2 spill pots, water sheer, and bubbler, and our price total was about what yours is. We also had travertine deck/patio.

What is the deck chlorinator? The TFP method advises liquid chlorination (via manual addition or perhaps pump), or salt system chlorination. If that chlorinator in the price is some sort of chlorine puck receptacle, that can go too (editL especially in Arizona). It's hard to tell from the drawing but your pool is about 12-25' or so? That's about my dimensions, I'm at about 11000 gallons, and it's no problem at all to manually chlorinate.

Now, they have you using 3 pumps, did I read that right? A VS upgrade from the basic included model, then the booster pump (what is this for?) and another pump for the spa. Again, I don't have a spa so others can help, but I don't see why one good sized varispeed pump can't handle that pool and spa.

I see you opted for the android/iPhone remote. Are you going to be playing with your phone near the pool, or with wet pool hands? I have Hayward equipment, so YMMV, but we have a remote on a cradle in the house and we can turn on the features/lights and change all the settings from within the house, and it's water proof to boot. Just something to consider.

another edit: do you have any way to fill the pool partially with softened water, or have a water softener for your house that feeds the rear auto-fill bib?

Thank you for all your insights. We will ask the pool company about all of the items you mentioned. My husband wanted the app, but at the bottom you can see that have a promo on it now and are giving it to us in the quote, so they subtracted the $530. The perimeter of the pool is 102, or something of that nature. I think we actually only have 2 pumps on there but we have an upgrade in there that makes the pump more energy efficient to save on electric bills, I thought we only had 2 pumps though - one for each the spa and the water feature on the wall. The pool terminology gets me -- so many things on there make me say, "what is that?"

We do have a water softener, but I really am not sure what areas of the house the softened water comes out of besides the bathroom sinks and showers. Like I said, a little clueless :confused:

Hi Kbean,
As a near by PB, I would say that is fairly high with no deck. Looks like a Pres... Pool.
Looking at design, doesn't look like you have enough room around that fire pit to comfortably sit. Generally want around 5' deck around it.
Also not sure how tall that wall next to it is, but you may be looking down into your neighbors yard, making an uncomfortable situation for both of you.
Guessing lot is near Lone mt:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks all, as of right now it seems like the basis of the bid is pretty solid with some possible tweaks here and there.

Just-A-PB - I've gotten bids of $77k and $84k with the decking included, and one for $58k for this + just the coping. As of right now this one is the the lowest I have to allow us to add decking with the landscaper, plus fire pit and BBQ. If this is high to you, where should I be?

You softener should have some shut off valves by the tank, you could stop water flow into the softener, then see if your bib in the back still has any water pressure.

Oh, and order a recommended test kit when they start the pebble

One thing my PB told me about Mexican travertine is that it tends to be denser and therefore it's cut a bit thinner.

Oops, I may have replied to the wrong thread! That's what I get for looking from work!

Thanks all, I think this bid is going to win. I'm going to inquire about the deck chlorinator as I have read some unfavorable things about that, but otherwise hopefully this is a fair cost.

Re: New Build in Cave Creek, AZ - PICS!!

hey all, so this process was way too frustrating for me to post here during it. lol. we were running about 3 weeks behind and anyone in arizona knows how frustrating it can be to run that far behind on a project in the dead heat of summer, so it's probably better i didn't come here to vent! here's a bunch of pics from the progress, start to finish. we're landscaping next week so i can add some more pics when that is done. i don't have an image of the kitchen area all painted (it's finished now though) and of course we're still working on just getting the backyard together with furniture, so it's not all completely done yet. but the pool has water in it and that's what matters most! and of course waiting for an epic sunset when all the water features and fire is on to take the perfect pic :)

the pool has pentair equipment. surface is in "pebble radiance" - basically pebble tec with some glass beads worked in there with abalone shell for sparkle. color is called "deep blue". travertine is called "paredon crema".

let me know if anyone has any questions, but otherwise, enjoy the pics :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

d67fdf77_o.jpeg

d1fd312a_o.jpeg

158653c0_o.jpeg

b08b5fc0_o.jpeg

ea9e3c5e_o.jpeg

19c53a49_o.jpeg

cb3c4911_o.jpeg

03f93d9c_o.jpeg

c4fd52cf_o.jpeg

befd7eab_o.jpeg

fd6505ff_o.jpeg

ef7e309d_o.jpeg

9f1e54e7_o.jpeg

dd7f25fa_o.jpeg

b002da7f_o.jpeg

3f54f6fe_o.jpeg

0b41d3db_o.jpeg

8d0a31f5_o.jpeg

e7dff8d9_o.jpeg

[URL="http://i.share.pho.to/2b1f7d54_o.jpeg%5b/img"]http://i.share.pho.to/2b1f7d54_o.jpeg[/img[/URL]]

[IMG]http://i.share.pho.to/21955621_o.jpeg

03a30d23_o.jpeg

cb5be211_o.jpeg

e7950f6d_o.jpeg

a0b22a93_o.jpeg

373819d5_o.jpeg

d0502510_o.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.