Testing Bromide Reserve, frequency of adding Sodium Bromide to spa

jackj

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 5, 2008
I opened a 192 gallon spa last week, and started on the 3-step process. I shocked the new fill, then added appropriate amount of sodium bromide to establish a reserve. The shock (bleach) raised the free chlorine appropriately, but the Bromine tabs I'd ordered didn't arrive until today.

Since it's been a week, should I add more sodium bromide, or is there a way to test if there's anything left in the reserve? I did a half-shock again, as the FC was gone after using it last night. And now I have 2 tabs in the floater.

Thanks!

I don't believe there are any tests readily available to test for bromide. As long as you added enough to get to 30 ppm reserve then you just treat it as such. It will very slowly deplete but the tabs will be more than enough to replenish it, you shouldn't need to add any more until you drain the water.

If you are having issues maintaining the bromine level then you should shock it until you are able to maintain the bromine levels. Make sure you are dosing after every soak, the tabs help keep the bromine levels stable when not in use but a soak in that size a tub can easily take it to zero within a half hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.