'Merican Map to the Muriatic....

Aug 19, 2014
Shallotte, NC
Earlier, I posted about marketing sleight of hand concerning Borax. I fear we may be facing the same dilemma with Muriatic Acid (MA). I have only checked this at Home Depot, since they are very close to home, but the Sales Associates strongly steered me to the "safe" MA in the paint aisles. I finally told them I had no interest in "being safe" and they reluctantly sent me out to the lawn and garden area for the real 20° Baume MA. These were boxed units, two gallons to a box, and it looked like they were not only old stock, but had endured a hard Norwegian winter.

For those unfamiliar with the "safe" variety, it is the normal 20° Baume MA, diluted to half-strength, with water.

Price for two gallon box of the 20° Baume MA? $12.98*

Price for two gallons of the half-strength stuff? $15.68

*Twice as much active ingredient for less money.... for a trek out to Lawn and Garden.... YMMV.

Home Depot has carried more of the diluted stuff for a long time. I get MA at a farm store for about half what Lowe's sells it for.

I use a local pool shop (eKonomy Pools) that sell Hasa Brand MA (and LC) in refillable, 1 gallon jugs (you buy four at a time) for $19 for four ($4.75/gal). There's a one-time, refundable $6 deposit for the safety carrier that you will get back if you stop using them. Pretty cheap and VERY strong stuff. I would previously buy MA from either Leslies or Patio pools (whichever had the sale) and I could easily handle a whiff or two of their MA. The stuff I get from eKonomy Pools makes my eyes tear and nose sting just opening the bottle up. So while it is labelled 20 Baume, me thinks it's a fair bit stronger than that...

Most of the HDs in my area carry both 14.5% and 31.45% MA, side by side, with the higher concentration $1 more for 2 gallons, which is obviously the better value. The lower concentration is labeled "Swimming Pool" and the higher "Contractor Strength", but both say "Pool & Spa" and refer to lowering pH. Unfortunately, the HD closest to me only carries the lower strength, but the rest in the area have both. This is all outside in the garden area (but away from the chlorine); I've never been able to find Muriatic Acid in the paint aisle, though I'm sure it's there.

I've considered buying it in reusable jugs from the same place I get chlorine, but those jugs are opaque, making it hard to add without measuring. With the translucent jugs I use a premarked stick to transfer 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines, making it easy to just pour out of the jug into the pool without a measuring cup.

.....The lower concentration is labeled "Swimming Pool" and the higher "Contractor Strength", but both say "Pool & Spa" and refer to lowering pH. Unfortunately, the HD closest to me only carries the lower strength, but the rest in the area have both. This is all outside in the garden area (but away from the chlorine); I've never been able to find Muriatic Acid in the paint aisle, though I'm sure it's there.

That is like the bottles that we used to have at the local HD. I forgot the links, so I edited the original post..... but the full strength bottle appears to have changed, entirely, and along with that, the vendor... maybe they are saving money on shipping by buying from a closer vendor... the bottles I bought appear to have come from either FL or LA.

Or, Amazon has it for only $26.75 per gallon with free shipping!:joker:

I don't want to jinx myself, but I buy the full strength MA from a local hardware store for $5.98 per gallon. I try to buy local whenever possible. I sometimes will even pay more (within reason) to shop locally.

I use a local pool shop (eKonomy Pools) that sell Hasa Brand MA (and LC) in refillable, 1 gallon jugs (you buy four at a time) for $19 for four ($4.75/gal). There's a one-time, refundable $6 deposit for the safety carrier that you will get back if you stop using them. Pretty cheap and VERY strong stuff. I would previously buy MA from either Leslies or Patio pools (whichever had the sale) and I could easily handle a whiff or two of their MA. The stuff I get from eKonomy Pools makes my eyes tear and nose sting just opening the bottle up. So while it is labelled 20 Baume, me thinks it's a fair bit stronger than that...

I wouldn't swear to it in a court of law, but I'm pretty sure 20 Baume/31.4% is the highest strength commercially available. It's 33% raw strength and they knock it down to 31.4 to reduce fuming. Someone can look it up, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.