shellsingleton

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Lafayette, LA w/pool in Hot Springs, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Added a solar powered LED spotlight it from Lowes to my landscaping project today. I'm surprised at how well a $30 kit lights up the palm trees. I remember trying out some ground light kits last year and I returned them because I was so disappointed. Looks like things are working better this go-around. 8)
IMG_7213-1.jpg

Hey Jim, good to hear from ya!
I'll tell you what strange timing is, every time you invite me over for one of your fires, I've got my Mom in from out of town. If it happens again, we're leaving the kid at home with Nana and heading out to your place. :mrgreen:

I think the lights are even a little brighter tonight. It said that the panel would need a full charge cycle 7-8 times before you would see it's full potential.
I went back to Lowes and bought 2 more sets today since I needed some landscaping pins. The lights come 3 to a set, and you can string them up in series or have 2 on one side of the panel, and one on the other. i.e- the panel has 2 outlets and each light has a male and female plug.
I plan to run a 4 set and a 2 set. The 4 set maybe slightly dimmer, but that's fine as the plantings in that bed are shorter then the palms.
It's going to be nice to look outside at night and be able to see the garden beds around the pool.
The kits are made by Portfolio Outdoor, and the ones I'm using are product# 0127456.

Ya know, I've been talking about how pleased I am with the light's brightness and such, but I need to point out that these are not nearly as bright as the low voltage halogen type spotlights that you typically see in commercial landscaping and some high end residential beds.
This is ok. I like the subtlety. But this may not be the effect that you are looking for. For instance, my wife made the comment that she hoped would become much brighter over the next week. I'm not sure that will happen, but I know her well enough to say that she will still grow into them.
IMO, for the simplicity of the install, and the built-in automation, not to mention value price, these kits are hard to beat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow... wish we had palm trees in Indiana! Love it!

Thanks for the note about the lights... Hubby and I have been trying to figure out lighting and would like to go with solar, just haven't figured out what to get yet... will have to go shopping and Lowe's and see what they have this season.

For those of you shopping at Lowe's... be on the lookout for products specially marked with Lowe's coupons inside. You can almost always find a coupon good for $10 off of a $50 purchase. I buy the product with the coupon, which is often less than the $10.. take the coupon out of the package I just bought and then make my next purchase. Great way to save a few bucks... and the last cashier thought I was clever :)

Suziqzer said:
Wow... wish we had palm trees in Indiana! Love it!

Thanks for the note about the lights... Hubby and I have been trying to figure out lighting and would like to go with solar, just haven't figured out what to get yet... will have to go shopping and Lowe's and see what they have this season.

For those of you shopping at Lowe's... be on the lookout for products specially marked with Lowe's coupons inside. You can almost always find a coupon good for $10 off of a $50 purchase. I buy the product with the coupon, which is often less than the $10.. take the coupon out of the package I just bought and then make my next purchase. Great way to save a few bucks... and the last cashier thought I was clever :)

Thanks for the info, I purchased a set of these lights yesterday and used the coupon. I went back again for more stuff as I am building an outdoor table to cover up the portable firepit
and used another coupon. So far I have saved $20.
BTW we did not have enough sunlight to power up the lights yesterday. I am excited to see how effective they will be :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
The coupon is good thru June 1st :whoot: :party: :party:

Just found out that Walmart has brighter wireless lights, 2 lights for $20.00 and the big whopper claims 20X brighter , 2 lights for $50.00.
I bought both and what a difference they make. These are much brighter than the ones from Lowes. :cheers: :cheers:

shellsingleton said:
That's great, thanks for the update. These are ok, but I wouldn't mind some brighter units. So far, 5 out of my 6 are still working. Ants took out one light.
By wireless, you mean solar, correct?
Yes :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.