Advice on a new pool build

Jan 28, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
I am located in NE Florida and I am interested in building an inground pool some time this year. The prices I have been quoted are

15' X 30' = $17,899 for a vinyl and or $25,000 for fiberglass similar size. I think I will be going with the vinyl. I don't think I will live in this house for more than 10 years so it doesn't have to last a life time. The price quoted includes everything (permits, pumping, electric, pumps, skimmer). I was thinking about solar heating, but that was an extra $5,000. That would be a 1/3 of the price of the pool. I think I will settle for natural solar heating. What is everyone's opinion on vinyl? Is it worth the extra savings? I am aware of the disadvantage of having to replace the liner ever 5+ years or so. It doesn't seem like a terrible disadvantage.

Lots of vinyl owners here who may reply. Perhaps the best thing we can do before you commit to a contract is for you to post a list of everything listed in your builder's quote. That way our forum members can preview the list of equipment and accessories your builder has planned. We can help get you prepared to discuss the items you must have and those items not really necessary that some builders like to include in a quote just to make a sell. :)

Hi. I think it's worth the savings.

As mentioned you won't have to replace the liner every 5 years or so. You should get a bare minimum of 10 years out of a liner and I'm aiming for 15 with mine. The house I moved from had a vinyl liner pool (above ground) and last summer was its 14th year. The only thing wrong with it is the pattern faded at the water line. I wasn't good about keeping up with the chemicals so that may have contributed to the fading. I put a new in-ground vinyl liner pool in last April. I considered gunite, however, in the NYC metro area it is quite a bit more than vinyl and I needed to keep costs in check since I planned on spending on the coping and surrounding landscaping. My second reason for buying vinyl was I wanted it; I really like it. I worked for a pool company doing maintenance and I've seen a lot of pool (all types). I knew that I could do a vinyl liner and make it look really nice. Upgrade to steel steps that the liner covers, get lights (you won't regret it). My .02 is to go vinyl and put the savings toward a really nice coping, it can make a pool. You can always add a heater (I love my gas heater) and decking. Last year we had dirt around the pool except for a piece of plywood covered by an outdoor carpet to get to the stairs. This year we're having top soil, seed, and pavers laid down. I say get what you really want with the features you want that cannot be added later (lights, bench in pool whatever.). Remember you can always add other stuff like heater, coping, decking, salt water chlorine generator, cleaner so if you want fiberglass just plan the project in stages if needed. Either way you can make for a great pool. Good luck!

The most important thing is to follow the advice on this forum for taking care of your pool. Pool stores are not bad if you know what you are doing imo, but often the people working there don't know much.

The items in the quote are as follows

NO MAIN DRAIN
~GROUNDING AND STANDARD ELECTRICAL HOOK-UP($700)

~4' BROOM FINISHED CONCRETE DECK
~TIMER
~HAYWARD SUPERPUMP 3/4HP OR 1HP
~HAYWARD SAND OR CARTRIDGE FILTER(YOUR CHOICE)
~THREE TREAD LADDER AT DEEP END ON LARGE POOLS
~CONCRETE EQUIPMENT PAD
~2 INCH SCH 40 PVC PIPING
~CONCRETE EQUIPMENT PAD
~2 OR MORE SKIMMERS
~2 TO 8 RETURNS WITH DIRECTIONAL NOZZLES
~YARD GRADING WITH EXISTING DIRT
~STANDARD EXCAVATION AND DIRT REMOVAL

A few things that come to mind (others should chine-in with thoughts as well):
- Any consideration for lighting?
- Perhaps consider negotiating for a larger concrete deck, at least on one side. Once you lay-down patio chairs and stuff, 4' shrinks fast
- Timer (what kind?) Some type of Intel/computer-automated, or just a simple Intermatic timer?
- Might be nice to know in advance what size/capacity filter(s) they are referring to
- For a 15'x30' size pool, I can't imagine more than 2 skimmer; mine has just one.
- 2-8 returns is a big difference; the should be able to confirm for you so you can evaluate circulation
- Any "stub-outs" for future/potential accessories or waterfalls, etc?

Hope this helps

How deep and what shape is your pool?
I would def add a light or two...pretty at night ;)
I have main drains but I understand you can build without them...just don't skimp on the circulation (skimmers and jets) in either case but especially if your pool is to be diving depth. Good water circulation makes everything about maintenance easier.

Lastly, what is your water table like?

In my area, I'm near a river, and the location of my pool is where a former catch basin was to collect storm water from a hill. So on construction, the original owners had a sump and line added under the hydrostatic drains so that in heavy rain events I can close the other lines and draw water from the sump to relieve hydrostatic pressure. This helps avoids liner floats when the groundwater is high, as does a French drain constructed around the pool.

If you've ever had water table issues or are near water yourself, these issues are good to look into on the front end as they are difficult to rehab after the fact....and I wouldn't rely on a PB whose trying to give you a competitive low quote to anticipate them. I have a friend whose liner constantly floats because he overlooked this on construction. It might be rare, but we hear reports of it here frequently enough that its worth mentioning ;)

Best wishes on your build and welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the input. Swampwoman: That is a little concerning now that you mentioned it. I live in Florida...and I have a retention pond in my back yard. The pool will be about 15-20 feet away from the retention pond. Are you saying I will need a french drain and a sump. to eliminate these problems? I suppose If I were to direct my gutter run off directly to the retention pond it would help as well.

Texas Splash great idea about the stub outs. I am trying to keep the pool at 20k, but in the future I would definitely want to add accessories or a waterfall

M27, I don't mean to concern you unnecessarily, but considering the investment, you might want an assessment from a hydrogeologist first to get a professional opinion. You can also just dig a pit and notice at what depth you see water, lookup the water table heights seasonally for your area, etc. ;)

There are different approaches to water table management with a pool. My system, with the underground sump plumbed into the system together with the covered drain around the perimeter is likely on the extreme edge of preventative engineering, but 3 outta 4 pool builders had told the original owners they wouldn't even put the pool here (and yet here she stands, 15 years later, original liner in tact with no wrinkles or water behind it...)

In some cases they'll just drill a couple of monitoring wells so you can watch and drop in a portable submersible pump if the table gets high (eg hurricane). In others, they'll just use a drain system around the pool and route storm water away from the area...it depends entirely on the unique nature of your property and the soil as well.

The friend I told you about has heavy clay soil in a high water table area, which causes the water to get trapped. I've suggested he build in some drainage next time he changes his liner, but to date, he just lives with the ebbs and flows of the liner ;) Retro work willrequire tearing up his deck...and expense he isn't interested in at the moment.

That's why it's good to assess your situation now, when its comparatively cheaper to engineer for in the case that its warranted ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.