Replace pump motor OR replace entire pump?

Oct 15, 2014
Austin,TX
I've got a ~12 yr old Hayward Northstar 1.5HP pump (SP4015NS) that's starting to sound really bad. Pretty sure the bearings in the motor are getting ready to go. Trying to decide whether to just replace the motor (AO Smith SN1152 Replacement Motor for Northstar SP4015 - Pool and Spa Supply Store) for ~$300 OR replace the pump entirely.

It appears Hayward would have me go with something like this 1-speed version ($570):
Hayward TriStar 1-1/2 HP, Energy Efficient, Full Rated Pump - SP3215EE - INYOPools.com

However, I'm sort of intrigued by a variable speed that could save me some money on electricity and probably be a lot quieter. Something like this ($890):
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V

Does anyone have advice in this situation? I'm thinking the motor swap would be the easiest (no plumbing changes required) but would still be loud and inefficient.

Both of the other two options are going to require plumbing changes, but I am sort of assuming that the IntelliFlo would save me more money in the long term (more efficient). Anybody have experience with this? Would I be looking at breaking even in a couple of years?

Should I be looking at some other models?

I've got 2" pipe and an old school wall timer with two dials (one for pump and one for the booster pump [recently replaced]). Am I correct in assuming that I can use the same wiring from that timer to connect to the IntelliFlo (just leaving it set to always on) and then program the schedule, etc. on the onboard control panel?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Brian

Here are some photos in case they help:
2016-01-27 08.35.57.jpg
2016-01-27 08.36.01.jpg

Another option to seriously consider it would be to put a two speed motor on your existing pump that would give you electrical savings without the large cost of switching to a full variable speed pump.

Also do you have needs for the high flow rates that that vs pump can achieve? You're usually better off with a much smaller pump unless you have high flow rate needs.

Thanks!

The existing hayward pump gives me enough flow, so I'm guessing I don't need the high flow rates of the 3hp Intelliflo. I guess I thought though that I'd mostly be running it at a low speed.

I'll look into the 2 speed motor option.

Why pay for the big pump if you don't need the capability. There are actually smaller vs pumps available that you could look into although the two speed motor option is the cheapest.

I think I'm going to go with this one. Smaller, but still variable speed.
http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/maxflo-vs-LITMAXFLVS14.pdf

I'll likely have to do a little plumbing work to get it in. While I'm at it, do you see any changes I should make? I was wondering if I should add more distance on the inflow side and maybe change the outflow such that there aren't two 90 degree bends so close together. Does that make sense?

Lastly, can anyone tell me what the hose spigot is for, right above the outflow? Do I need to make sure I have something like that when I re-plumb?
2016-01-27 08.35.57.jpg

Spigot was likely for pressure testing the plumbing. Not needed, but handy to take a water sample or pump out some water or spraying people in the pool.

Fewer turns the better. Seems like you should need one 90 turn above the pump and a 45 back by the wall.

That is a nice pump, just realize it will not integrate into an automation system if that was on your radar.

I'll just stir the pot a bit :stirpot:

With a high power VS pump (3HP IntelliFlo) you could completely eliminate the booster pump on the pressure cleaner line BUT you'd need to replumb your return side with a valve and cut in a connection for the pressure cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I'll just stir the pot a bit :stirpot:

With a high power VS pump (3HP IntelliFlo) you could completely eliminate the booster pump on the pressure cleaner line BUT you'd need to replumb your return side with a valve and cut in a connection for the pressure cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
This is not right. If the cleaner was designed to use a booster pump, needing high pressure low flow rates, then you would still need the booster pump even with the larger Intelliflo.

Thanks all. I recently replaced the booster pump anyway, so not looking to remove it :)

Jason, good call. I'll go with a 45 from the wall and then a 90 into the pump. No plans for automation. Just going to tie this into my existing dial timers.

Should I try and add some more straight pipe on the inflow side?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
City of Austin will give you a rebate on a variable speed pump BUT you have to have it installed by one of their certified installers. They also request that you don't pump between 4PM and 6PM (peak AC hours in the summer)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.