New plaster job start-up

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
We just had a remodel done, and I'm trying to get our chemistry in line. I have read and read these posts about water chemistry and thought I had it down, but still have a few questions.

Is there a proper sequence that is ALWAYS the right way to bring the different parameters in line, or does it depend? It seems that it should go alkalinity, pH, then chlorine, but I'm not sure how CYA fits in, can that go in anytime? The other CYA thing I'm confused about is the relation to chlorine ppm. I've read that your chlorine levels depend on your CYA levels, so if I'm starting from zero, do I want to go with the minimum numbers so that I can keep my chlorine lower?

Finally, if I'm going to use the BBB method, do I still use tablets from a floater or feeder? I thought those had stabilizer in them that would keep raising my CYA.

I know thats a lot to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is no single order for adjusting your numbers that is always correct. For example, normally you do PH first, but if your TA (alkalinity) is very low then you do TA first.

We generally recommend that you keep CYA around 30, which is at the low end of the usual range, unless you have extreme amounts of direct sunlight or a salt water chlorine generator (SWG). Some people run at lower levels, but lower levels are difficult to measure so it is hard to know if you have it right. With lots and lots of sun or a SWG numbers from 60-90 are often used.

The BBB approach almost never uses the tablets. There are occasional special cases where they are handy, particuarly when you are just starting up after having plaster done or when going on vacation.

So do you just use the bleach on a daily (or as needed) basis? We're debating going to salt, but aren't sure yet, and only have a floater, which "burned" the plaster we just covered up. It would be nice not to have to install a feeder if we don't have to!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.