how long do dallas-ft worth pool owners run their pool pumps during each season?

Dec 17, 2015
arlington, tx
my pool builder recommended 12 hrs in summer, 8 hrs in fall and spring, and 4 hrs in winter. i am currently running pump 4 hrs during late night so as to run at same time when the freeze protection kicks on.

it seems to me 12 hrs and 8 hrs are too long, considering the pool probably turns over twice in 6-8 hrs. any thoughts?

There is no set amount of time needed to run the pool pump. Also, the number of turnovers is not helpful or needed either. Very simply, you need to run your pump long enough to keep your pool clean. The pump needs to run long enough to skim everything off the surface and give the cleaner long enough to get the bottom clean. During winter an hour a day is probably fine and a good place to start. Increase the run time as you notice the pool getting dirtier.

Here is an article from Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I usually figure out that my pool is getting dirtier when I brush the pool bottom and there is more dirt/dust than normal. I turn all suction to the bottom drain and brush to the drain. Or you can vacuum.

Some folks have to run their pump longer to make enough chlorine with their SWG. Not sure what the impact is with trichlor pucks. Keep an eye on your CYA and PH, those pucks raise PH and add CYA pretty quickly. More here on that, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Pooldv has it covered very well, and I can only say that you can easily prove those sources wrong. It doesn't usually require anyone that much. Some of it is personal taste as to how much you want in terms of cleanliness, but there are diminishing returns for extending run times in almost all circumstances.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.