ive keep dropping the ORP but its not doing to much
its down to 590 and the level of chlorine is 4.5
PH is OK around 7.5
What happening, what am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Standard sand filter
Pool 64,000 litres

Hello and welcome to the forum Judge!

That isn't bad at all in terms of FC residual, but it really depends on what your Cya level is. I would encourage first to look at Pool School, and begin with the ABCs. From there, see what the recommended levels are that we suggest, and acquire a proper test kit to determine that. We base everything on testing your own water, and adjusting accordingly. Others will be along to elaborate, but this is where we will suggest you starting out. If you have a full and proper test kit, please post up a full set of numbers, and we can go from there.

I'm going to admit, in some areas I know just enough to get myself in trouble - but here goes.

Do a little searching on the site will show that ORP is really not a reliable method of monitoring chlorine as it is affected by other parameters in the water.

Patrick has hit the nail on the head, we base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. The problem you may have is finding a test kit based on Taylor reagents down under. This post talks about a kit that is apparently available - CCL vs TF-100 Results

As Patrick pointed out, the first step in understand our methods and why the chlorine/CYA relationship is so important is reading ABCs of Water Chemistry

Thank you for your reply
I do have a electronic Tester and this is displaying the high chlorine reading. I do calibrate the tester often.
its just that I am lowering the ORP setting without much change to the chlorine level as that's stayng high.
I will test the CYA,TA,CH today

Ok,

How are you testing for FC, (Free Chlorine) and how are you calibrating the sensors? There are a number of things that can effect the ORP readings besides Chlorine, so it alone should not be relied on for accurate FC levels. As for the pH, how are you verifying the readout?

Hello
I have a palintest 6 and all the tablets that goes with it.
The pool is stable with all the testing and I did get a third party to test it and its all OK
its just the ORP reading that is set on about 600 now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.