How is Aquanaut ("The Poolcleaner" clone) with larger leaves.

lalittle

Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm considering switching from a Kreepy Krauly classic to a Hayward Aquanaut (i.e. a clone of "The Poolcleaner") in order to get more even overall coverage in my pool. The KK tends to run a repeated pattern for me and doesn't reliably go everywhere. I can get it to vary it's path by making adjustments, but it just does a "new" repeated pattern when I do this.

The thing I'm not too clear about is how the "Poolcleaner" design (2 wheel) deals with larger leaves, like sycamore. I know that pressure side cleaners with bags are more suited to this, but I want to stick with a suction side cleaner. How do the "Poolcleaner" style cleaners compare to the KK in this respect? I've looked at videos on youtube, but I'm interested in hearing some user feedback here. I'm generally used to manually picking up leaves with a net when things get bad, so I don't expect miracles here, but I'm not sure if large leaves would actually jam the Aquanaut, which isn't usually a problem with the KK.

Thanks,

Larry

We have a Chinese Elm and the cleaner does a fairly good job with that size leaf but during leaf fall when we get a ton in the pool. However it does clog up if you are not on top of cleaning out the leaf trap. BTW, it is a necessity to get a leaf catcher or trap for the cleaner. You don't want all those leaves ending up in the pump basket where it can severely restrict flow.

Re: How is Aquanaut ("The Poolcleaner" clone) with larger leaves.

Agree that a leaf canister is a must! I have zodiac mentioned above and it seems to hold a good bit. Have to be careful or it will allow a little air to be sucked in.

I like that the hoses stay connected when you clean it so they do not float away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.