First running numbers - Clear water!! Ok to add borates??

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
OK, we've goth the pump running. Still need 1 more load of water, but it will be in within the hour. Test results:

FC = 0
CC = 0
TC = 0
pH = 8.2+ very bright pink
CH = 150
TA = 160
CYA = 0

I went ahead and put 4 pounds CYA into the pool. I know I need to get up.

Going to add bleach - probably 3 jugs - need to check the ounces in them.

Should I add MA to bring the pH down? I hate to do too much at once.

I will test the water again 2 hour after the rest of the water is in.

Re: First running numbers

I added 3 jugs of bleach - 182 oz. Then I read the post by FPM, so I added the MA that I have on hand - approx 2 qt. I did not measure accurately, but felt like a little less than half. Approx 1 hour later I got these numbers:

FC = 1.5
CC = 3.5
TC = 5
pH = 8.2 - still very bright pink

I didn't test the other things because at this point I am not too concerned about them.

My FC isn't very high, so I think the pH may be high still. I have to buy more MA tomorrow, I don't have any left.

I added 3 more jugs of bleach. I will test again in the morning. What I did notice was that the color of the water in my pint jar was less green (almost clear) than it was earlier. I am sure this is a combination of the bleach and the filter running. It is dark out and I have no lighting by the pool so I don't know what it looks like from above.

You want to get the PH situation sorted out right away, before shocking the pool if at all possible.

I wouldn't add more than 1 quart of 31% muriatic acid at a time, give it 30 minutes to mix in with the pump running, retest and repeat as needed (adjusting the amount of acid down if the PH reads below 8.2).

Keep in mind that you don't want to count on PH test results when the FC level is above 10, or perhaps 15. So get the PH sorted out before really shocking the pool, or at least in the early stage when the FC level is still falling very rapidly after adding chlorine.

Numbers as of 7:15 this morning:

FC = 3
CC = 4
pH = between 7.8 & 8.2

I wish there was a better test for pH than the color charts - I find those very subjective. pH is coming down a bit, it seems and the CL is not too high that it would effect the reading.

Pool has a grayish/green tint now - still very cloudy, but the black is gone. It was very windy last night and we had a lot of tree blossoms end up in the pool. I don't have time this morning to run the leaf rake, but will do it this afternoon to get more stuff out.

I am going to add some more bleach and later today I will have the MA to continue to lower the pH. I know this ins;t the best order of things, but it is what I have right now.

Today is supposed to be cloudy with thunderstorms this evening. Supposed to get more rain tomorrow. The rain shouldn't effect us much, but the associated winds will likely put more debris in the pool.

If you want to clear your pool quickly and effectively.....

1. Get your pH down into the lower 7's sooner rather than later.

2. Next, you gonna need a lot more chlorine so stock up. Just how much depends on your CYA level so post that up and you'll get some good advice.

Gone much longer today than I had planned. Checked water and put in 1 qt MA to bring pH down. Will check again in about an hour.

pH = still around 8.2
FC = 3
CC = 3.5

When I left earlier FC was 13, so I lost about 10 today. I am waiting about an hour to get another reading before I add any bleach - I just hope the t-storms stay away or I will be wet in the middle of all this.

I do have a lot of 182oz jugs of bleach and can get more if I need it. I also stocked up on MA - not that I will need that much now, but I will when I add the borates in the coming weeks.

Oh and I forgot to add that when I tested CYA yesterday it was 0 - I have added 4 pounds of CYA but it takes a while to dissolve. Luckily it was very cloudy all day so I didn't lose as much chlorine to the sun as I could have.

This algae appears to be quite the bloom - I keep pulling out slimy strings of algae that have come to the surface. The pool color is white/gray and has lost all green/black color. I am headed in the right direction, but it still may be some time.

It can take the CYA up to a week to fully dissolve, and the test will tend to read CYA levels below 20 as zero, so it won't show up right away. Generally, it is best not to test the CYA level for the full week after adding some, because there tend to be a limited number of CYA tests in the common test kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

savdoc2 said:
Would it be a good idea to get some dichlor to raise the CYA (and I need chlorine anyway) since it is quick dissolving?

No, I don't think so, you already dosed enough CYA for 40ppm, you don't want to overshoot your target. Just assume that it's in there, and target your FC accordingly. It should show up after 5 days or so.

frustratedpoolmom said:
savdoc2 said:
Would it be a good idea to get some dichlor to raise the CYA (and I need chlorine anyway) since it is quick dissolving?

No, I don't think so, you already dosed enough CYA for 40ppm, you don't want to overshoot your target. Just assume that it's in there, and target your FC accordingly. It should show up after 5 days or so.

OK. I hung the CYA in a stocking next to the return, but it doesn't seem to be dissolving very quickly - water temp is only 65 so I think that might be why it is so slow. I was just trying to come up with a way to make it quicker. Any thoughts on a way to get it to dissolve quicker?

1 hour after dosing with chlorine:

pH = 8.2 again - but you all said it would read high at high levels of FC - correct?
FC = 17.5
CC = 4.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.