First running numbers - Clear water!! Ok to add borates??

Re: First running numbers

Several days later, I am still at it with a VERY cloudy pool. We might be able to see down 2 feet into the water but it is impossible to tell for sure. In the overnight tests, I am losing only about 2 FC, but I still have a CC of 1.5, so I am still keeping it at shock level. I have fought algae before and it cleared quite quickly, but this time seems to be taking forever.

I know I need more POP, but is there anything else I can do to speed the clearing of the cloudy water? At least then it would appear like I am doing something productive.

Could this be an ammonia issue?

Re: First running numbers

I did an overnight test again last night. I only lost 1 FC overnight, but my CC is still at 1 and the water is still very cloudy - still can't see down more than a foot or so. Today is day 18 of shock level. My family is losing POP very fast and wants to try other things - not sure what though. I think I will get some DE to add to the sand filter and see if that helps any.

Re: First running numbers - Confused!!

Now I am really confused and I feel like I should have a better handle on this pool by now.

In my overnight test, I lost 0 FC. I still have 1 - 1.5 CC every time I test and it is still very cloudy. Since I am not losing FC overnight, this rules out algae/organics, right? So why is my CC not going down and why is it so cloudy? I know you all don't have a crystal ball, but I am losing POP really fast.

Re: First running numbers - Confused!

It often requires lots of sunlight and high FC levels to get rid of the last of the CC. Stay at shock level and the CC should be gone by the time the water clears up.

Prior to today there was still something growing in the water, as shown by the (small) FC loss yesterday. That means cloudiness and CC was still being created as recently as yesterday. It can take the filter several days, sometimes a week or more, to full clear up the water. Sand filters are the slowest of the three major kinds of filters. Now that everything is dead, there should be a visible improvement in the water each day.

Thanks for the encouragement!

My FC was at 17 last night and this morning, but because I will be away from home much of today I decided to add some bleach anyway - I don't want it to drop below shock level and allow something to grow again. We are supposed to have full sun today, so hopefully that will go a long way to burn off the CC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I am FINALLY getting close to a sparkling pool. Once again last night I only lost 1 in FC and have 1 CC. If I hallucinate just right, I think I can see the bottom of the liner. It is still cloudy, but I am excited to see liner on the bottom.

We are supposed to have sun or mostly sun most of this week so that should burn off the rest of the CC soon. I am still keeping at or near shock level as much as possible until clear.

Now a couple more questions that you have probably already answered, but indulge me:

1) When can I put the solar cover on?

2) Once the water is clear, I need to get the SWG up and running. I also plan to add borates. In what order should I do these things? Do I want to wait until it is sparkling before I start these things?

Re: First running numbers - Getting close - more questions.

Don't put the solar cover on during the day if you have any CC.

You can startup the SWG as soon as the CYA and salt levels are appropriate, but it is generally best to wait till till you are done shocking, since a SWG can confuse the overnight FC loss test.

Wait to add borates till you are done shocking.

Re: First running numbers - Getting close - more questions.

I must be making slight progress. I can see the bottom of the pool most of the time, but it is still quite cloudy. I am still keeping it at shock level. I am losing 1 or less FC overnight, but still have 1ppm CC. I can't seem to shake it.

I found in the shed today a 25 pound bucket of potassium peroxymonosulfate from pre-BBB days. The bucket is mostly full. Can I use this stuff for anything? I read contraindicating info on TFP about it - some say it helps eliminate CC, some say it doesn't. I already have it so no money out of my pocket to use it.

Re: First running numbers - another ? MPS?

Finally, the water is fairly clear - the sun isn't really on it and we have clouds, but I can see the bottom well and it doesn't look cloudy. There is some silt, dead algae dust, pollen, etc settled on the bottom (especially in the wide trenches in the floor of the liner). I had similar "dust" on the bottom of the pool this time last year. I have the auto vac on working on that. My overnight tests revealed a 1 FC loss overnight (with a little sun angled on the water this morning by the time I got the sample) and the CC cleared with 1.5 drops (after the first drop it was just barely tinged pink). Is this "close enough" to stop shocking?

Last night, by the time I got done mowing, I couldn't figure out how to open the bucket of MPS but I got it open this morning. I added some of that to the pool this morning in hopes to clear the last of the CC.

I am ready to buy salt! I tested my salt level the other day and it said I already have 1080ppm salt in the pool, so that is a few less bags I have to haul. Not really sure how it got so high already, but I followed the test - must be all that bleach I have added over the past several years. Any reason I should wat to add the salt and get the SWG going?

Re: First running numbers - Nearly clear - few more questions

Sure, now is a great time to add salt! Remember to run the pump for 24 hours with the SWG off after adding salt to be sure it is mixed in throughly.

Re: First running numbers - Nearly clear - few more questions

Finally, I have a clear pool, and CC of .5!! Yeah!!!! :party:

I added the salt and turned on the SWG. Should I wait to add the borates? I have MA and Borax on hand and am ready to go with it!

Now if only the water temp would come up. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.