New Build in Katy, TX

We had my sons birthday party at the house 4/9, and after the rain we got last week I am glad that we delayed the start of construction. That said, they came today and finalized the stakeout of the pool and are supposed to be here at 7 tomorrow morning to dig. We should have gunite by the middle of next week if all goes as planned. We had ADT put a camera on the back patio, so I'll be able to easily take photos and videos of the construction process. The real reason is to be able to keep an eye on the pool when we're out of town, but the secondary reason is pretty cool. Here's the pic of the stakeout. More to come over the next couple of days.

Have you measured to make sure the paint and stakes are correct? Long, wide, ect. enough? curvy, not curvy enough?

You should also measure again once they dig. You will add about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster. That will be very important for it being deep enough! We have seen two pools so far this spring not be deep enough :(

I like what I see and that camera shot is neat!

Kim

After measuring the stakes, it appears we are 18" longer and wider than the plans. I know once the gunite is sprayed we will lose some of that, but not sure how much.

The beam will be 12x18, so I'm assuming we will lose a foot on each side, which would make the pool 6" smaller than we planned, am I thinking correctly here?

This is a fairly large pool at 34'x23', so I'm not sure 6" will be detrimental in the long run.

Also, how deep should the sun shelf be? We have 6" of water over it on the plans, but if we should take it deeper I would think now would be the time to do that.

Thank you all for your help, can't wait to be swimming this summer!

There has been quite a few different sun shelf debates-Ask your self this:

-do you want your bum in the water while you sit on a lounger?

-If you are sitting on the shelf how far up do you want the water to come on your body?

-do you want to be able to lay on the shelf and put your head on the side of the pool and relax?

Play in the bath tub and see what works best for you and go from there.

Kim:cat:

Our PB typically does 6". I sat in the bathtub and that did not fully cover my legs, but 8" does nicely. I wanted to sit there and have my legs be undewater and not have the sun shining directly on them. I would suggest sitting in the bathtub too and seeing what depth works best for you.

Our PB also said we will lose a foot from where the stakes/out line is.

Measured again with help from the construction guys and got to the wides point. Pool was within 1 inch both directions. Digging has now begun. Ofcourse with the storm last night our internet is down today, so I can only update from my phone.

b6b40742b348bef2ee67b0017251521c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh wow! Maybe steel today too?!? That would be faster than ours. Our pool was dug yesterday, they guys are still working on the rebar today, hoping they finish in time for the plumbers to come in today. We want gunite ahead of the storms coming in on Saturday. Can't wait to see your pool finished!

Dig is done. Steel will be first thing in the morning and plumbing in the afternoon. I think they're trying to shoot gunite before the rain. Had a couple of small cave ins on the deep end, but it appears to be holding together well.

d41a4dfd4445c337643dbe685d98a835.jpg

8142145625a5af2c58ee1903b6e4e51e.jpg

Making progress on the steel. Then we have City of Katy inspections tomorrow before we can do the gunite. Hoping the rain holds off so gunite can happen Saturday, but the weather forecast now has 80% Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

5c8ebf77c30c6723c8492129444a9fcc.jpg

ff21ef6be59c0748b17e11e1bde0a0af.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.