Mastertemp250 HLS

Jan 29, 2015
Shrewsbury, PA
Hello,
I am running a pentair mastertemp250na (6-8 months old) in a hotel indoor pool. Heater keeps throwing the HLS (high limit switch) error then clears and tries again. I have replaced the HLS, control board, ignitor, removed manifold and flushed insides to verify water is flowing through. At this point I have no idea where to go next.

Sorry it has been a while. Thermal regulator was the issue. However, the spa heat exchanger went bad (pentair isnt good) Valentines weekend so pool heager got moved to spa side. Worked fine for a couple days and now works intermittently. No codes, no leds. Fires and quits.

Intermittent problems are usually very difficult to diagnose when your on scene because they don't present every time, even harder through a forum. You should probably see if you can get service out to the heater.

Possibilities that come to mind:
Main board
FENWAL (Ignition box)
bad pressure switch or dirty filter causing low pressure.
igniter partially cracked
Bad/loose connection
gas valve
The list goes on...

Not being there, i wouldn't want to suggest buying any of those parts given their expense, and that it could very well be something else.

Some of those things on the list have been replaced in this heaters less than 1 year life (Control board, ignitor, thermal regulator, manifold, fenwal ignition board, hls). I can assure you that we will never buy another pentair product for our pool.

And I have been in contact with a service tech. Not what I wanted to do but I am now at a loss.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
They are both inside the building and the pool and hot tub are both indoor. Since I have been with the company 4 years now, we are on our third of this kind of heater and that is not saying much for them

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do they need to be professionally installed for warranties? Thats the biggest issue with the pentair units. I swapped 2 of them directly from one mt250na to the same mt250na and they would honor warrany.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes they need to be professionally installed. Well if your hands are tied like that then tell the management to get used to buying new units every year or so.

Just a note. The Mastertemp heater is a re-packaged Sta-Rite Max-e-therm heater. Sta-Rite introduced those heaters into the market prior to them being bought by Pentair. Then Pentair immediately put the heater into their "cube" design and began selling the heaters both ways. The Max-E-Therm is still in production under the Sta-Rite name.

So don't let that keep you from buying Pentair products. They have a good line.

Paul is also right, they are not a good fit for commercial applications.

Just a note. The Mastertemp heater is a re-packaged Sta-Rite Max-e-therm heater. Sta-Rite introduced those heaters into the market prior to them being bought by Pentair. Then Pentair immediately put the heater into their "cube" design and began selling the heaters both ways. The Max-E-Therm is still in production under the Sta-Rite name.

So don't let that keep you from buying Pentair products. They have a good line.

Paul is also right, they are not a good fit for commercial applications.

Yeah I love it when a homeowner says "I did my research and the Master temp is a better unit than the Max-e-therm." Or vice versa. I love the look on their face when I show them the manuals that come with each unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.