Are these pool pipes deep enough??

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
We put in a new deck and took out some of the concrete pavers that used to surround parts of the pool. After jackhammering the pavers out, we discovered that the pool pipes sit about 10" below the top of coping (the smaller PVC pipes are sprinklers). Thankfully my construction helpers were very careful and did not damage the pipes. Is it okay for the pipes to be so shallow? We intend to put stepping stones down with black rocks over the areas where the pipes are exposed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

pool.jpg

How much dirt/sand will be on top of them? My gut says that if they have been fine this long like that they should be fine if you do the same then in regards to the dirt and pavers. Make sure there is plenty of compacted dirt over them.

Kim

The lines should be 12 inches below finish grade. These look only 3 to 4 inches below grade.

I don't like the plan to put just stepping stones and landscaping rock as cover. If it is not to much I would get these deeper just to protect them. I like to keep rock --- Any rock, away from pipes.

There is only room to put a few inches of compacted dirt and sand/gravel/stepping stones on top. Not a lot of depth for all that. You can see the broken up pavers that were removed in the background of the image. For some reason, they poured the pavers 8" thick right on top of the PVC pipes. The pipes held up, but it doesn't seem to be a best practice. I have some experienced construction workers that could place the pipes deeper... or is this something for a pool subcontractor? Would my workers need to drain part of pool if they cut the pipes and place them 12" lower? It's turning into a bigger project, as most do... :D

Water keeps level naturally so if you cut a pipe and it is lower than the level of the pool water it will flow to the lowest point. You'll need to lower the water level in the pool until it is below where the lowest cut will be.

Water keeps level naturally so if you cut a pipe and it is lower than the level of the pool water it will flow to the lowest point. You'll need to lower the water level in the pool until it is below where the lowest cut will be.

Yes... I wish there was a way to cut the pipe and quickly install a riser pipe so the outlet is above the water level. Or plug the skimmer, returns and the pipe that goes through the salt water cell. That sits up a few feet higher than the water level. I hate to throw away 20% of my water in a drought (out here in LA) :(

Are those drain lines or return lines? If returns just get some plastic plugs on the internet and place them on the returns (you may have to unscrew the jets to get them on). If the main drain and it runs through the skimmer, plug the back hole in the skimmer. if the main drain is separate and this is the main drain you can try to cover the main drain with a cover there are several you can purchase on the internet or you can do a partial drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whatever you do you want to make sure you can keep the pipes dry for 24 hours. The glue might not hold if it can't cure while it is wet (they might make stuff for this application but I wouldn't trust it). Who knows how well plugs would work? You would find out too late. I know it is tough to drain but in my eyes it is really the only option for now. Or you could build another pool and put the water into that pool and store it there haha. Do you have a neighbor who is building a pool? Maybe a long hose and you can charge him for "pre-treated" water.

Plugs work really well, especially if you purchase the industrial ones. Tennis balls can work great also. I've never tried carrots.

But with PVC its not the presence of water that the problem its the pressure or force of the water. So a little trickle won't cause a problem. And if the plugs fail completely it just means your excavation fills up. If they failed completely more than ten minutes after the PVC was glued there still would not be a problem unless you turn on the pump right away. In my experence, most pool plumbers in California put their PVC lines under pressure less than two hours after they glue up the last connection and that is at 35 lbs per sq inch, more than most pumps put out.

Can I ask what size is your pool? We are going small and I'm curious.
thanks in advance,

To the inside edge of coping it is 22'-8" x 12'-0". The coping is 1'-2" on all sides. Pool is average 5 feet deep. It feels just fine in our urban site in Los Angeles. Easy to heat in the summer. Actually, with a grey pool cover, it averages about 78 degrees in the summer with no heating. I highly recommend having a pool cover with a track on the under side of the coping. That means you'll need a vault for the pool cover on one side. It's much better than a pool cover with deck mounted tracks. CoverStar - Guide Locations

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.