Thinking of upgrading to a sand filter.....

Hello:

I currently have a Sta-Rite Catridge Filter system. It is time to replace the filter cartidge about $150.00. So, I am thinking a sand filter would be an easy and better care of my pool. I have some questions though...

My pool is a 28' round AG pool. I have a 1.5 hp Waterway pump. What size sand filter would I need?

When you "backwash" where does the backwash go? Backwashing sure sound easier than pulling the filter to wash it out.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe

Bigger filters are generally better. I would look for something that takes 200 lbs of sand or more.

The backwash water goes where ever you run the backwash hose to, the lawn, the sewer, a dry well, whatever works for your situation.

No question, backwashing is easier. On the other hand, sand filters don't get as many of the really really fine particles out as cartridge filters do. Some people can't tell the difference, others can.

A sand filter is quite easy to operate and causes the least problems of the three major types. It also filters the coarsest but a properly balanced pool will absolutely sparkle with a sand filter.

A key item in the selection is to get one that's oversized for your pump. That pump is probably rated around 60 gph or so. A good sand filter match would be one rated pretty close to 80 gph or a little more.

Backwashing goes out of the system to wherever you pipe it. Down the drain, into the back yard, etc. It's up to you to direct the backwash where you want it.

Never had a cartridge filter but used both a DE and sand filter. In my opinion, the sand filter is more economical and much easier to maintain. Regarding water clarity, I saw no difference. My sand filter is over 20 years old, has never had a sand change and the water sparkles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.