RE: getting by with only 3% FC/CYA ratio?

Re: getting by with only 3% FC/CYA ratio?

Lower FC/CYA ratios can be used if you are willing to be diligent on continually adding expensive supplements to the water like Polyquat and in some cases even phosphate removers. But, this is really outside the realm of what we teach - "Trouble Free Pool Care". It's really not troublefree when you start worrying about your additives and if you have a sufficient quantity in the water. Do a search here in the deep end and you will find several threads about similar methods.

But again, it's not what we teach. We haven't studied it.

But, it is the purview of many pool stores, including a couple of large chains. They will be happy to sell you the products and advise you how they thing you should maintain your pool. But I will caution you shold you choose to go down that path - trying to mix pool store advice and TFPC advice won't work!

Using old "best guess" charts by Ben Powell, as CYA got ridiculously high, recommended chlorine got closer to 4%, but AFAIK, never below that. I've never heard the phosphates/chlorine thing before and every time I hear "phosphates" I get that itchy old feeling about pool store wisdom.

The current recommended minimum of 7.5% was, I believe, worked out between Ben and Chem Geek and contains a lot of experience, wisdom, and chemistry. Going below that might be more of a headache than it is worth, if the pool goes unexpectedly green.....

If I were to do that, I would probably lower the phosphate level while also maintaining a 50 ppm borate level. That should create an environment that is relatively uncooperative to algae growth.

I personally wouldn't do that though. You probably wouldn't notice any improvement in water quality aside from the effects the borates would have on it. The active chlorine level of the FC/CYA chart is really so low that it is rare to have someone consider a lower level to be an improvement. I would think that the lower FC level could cause a higher CC level that would make the pool less enjoyable, but I haven't personally tried it so I could be wrong.

Remember, please, what this forum is all about.....simplicity of pool care. Over and Over we prove that pools can be managed in a crystal clear status with FC and the correct amount of CYA. That's a flat fact and when you become interested in varying that, you invariably bring up complications that are not of interest to the main body of this forum.

That's why this Deep End forum was created.

"getting by" is the key clue in your thread title. You might get by, get away or get lucky with maintenance that way, but why not forgo the phosphate reduction expense and just use a higher, still safe and effective, FC level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.