Spa Cover Recommendations

marcgr

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2015
Austin, TX
My hot tub cover is getting heavy and I'm noticing mold or mildew between the cover and the foam. I think it might actually be rain getting in from above rather than vapors leaking up from below, but regardless, the cover is at least 5 years old, the stitching is about to go and I think it's time for a new one.

Any recommendations on a new one? I'm looking at Solis. Every spa cover company I looked at have some complaints over at the Better Business Bureau but if they're making a few hundred covers a week then a few complaints per year is not unexpected.

I'm also looking at the electricity savings vs increased R values and if my math is right it looks like I'll save about $20 in electricity over a 5-year period for every increase in R value. So if I'm comparing an R-20 to an R-25 then I would save about $100 of electricity with the R-25 over a 5 year period. That makes it economical to get the highest R value possible. Agree or disagree?

Many thanks,

Marc

I would stay far away from solis. Ordered my last one from them. It took over 2 months to get the cover and about 6 months after getting it the whole center channel collapsed and the vinyl leaks developed leaks. Horrible experience with them all around. I wrote off all the BBB complaints and wish I hadn't.

Hey there, I went with Hot Tub Covers Replacement Spa Covers from BeyondNice I had them sow 2 handles in the middle of the cover, so I could close the cover while in the tub.. The mistake I mad was not using both handles at the same time and they started to tear... Once I started using both handles no further damage has been done and it works great...

Thickest Hot Tub Covers: 6"-4" Tapered with 1.0# (R23.85-R37) Cover thickness selectionULTRA cover is 6 inches thick tapering to 4 inches for the most insulation available - R24.9
Tie down strapsStandard: 4 tie down straps, 1 strap on each of the four sides Tie down strap
Additional insulationUpgrade: Long Steam Stopper - additional insulation seals under the fold View - $19.00
Upgrade: Double Thick & Double Wrap - twice as thick as Standard and wrapped twice - $36.00
1.5 pound - Shear strength 26-32 psi (Estimated 4-2 taper static load limit - 270 pounds) - $45.00
Upgrade: Strengthen the fold/hinge View - $18.00

Cost me 445 dollars with free shipping, received it in about 2 weeks from ordering.. Great customer service!!

I have had this cover for 3 years now, it is still not water logged, does not let air escape, and still looks great (except the handles on the inside) It is thick, 6 inches in center and 4 on the ends.. way thicker than my original and that helps the heat stay in, the heater turns on much less now...

Thanks all! Anyone have experience with Spa Depot? I found generally good reviews here and a few other places. All of them have some info at BBB.org but it looks like Spa Depot tries to resolve... somewhat...

Marc

I have a custom 3 piece SpaMate cover which they built for $550 delivered. This is a great price for a custom cover. I'm going on three years with no issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.