Salt from liquid Chlorine?

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
I am sure this question has been answered somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

How much salt does using bleach add to the pool? baking soda?

In the next couple weeks we will be adding salt to use the new SWG. We have been using BBB for several years now and will be using a lot of bleach over the next little bit to clear the black/green pool. According to the information I have read on SWG, the salt stays in the pool and only dilutes with rain and refills or is backwashed out. So there should be some sodium level in my pool from using bleach consistently and having used some baking soda in the past.

Is my thinking even remotely accurate? Should I test the salt level before calculating how much salt to add? How often do I need to test the salt level?

Salt should be tested twice a season, opening in the spring and mid-summer, and also any time there has been significant water replacement.

You can get a sense of how much salt different forms of chlorine add to the water using the Effects of adding chemicals section of my Pool Calculator, it is towards the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.