Getting the hang of it

Hi folks,

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your invaluable help here.
In my short time here I now feel like I'm actually in charge of my pool for the first time - due wholly to the vast wealth of knowledge in here that is freely shared.

Here's my latest pulse:
  • FC: 3.5
  • CC: 0
  • pH: 7.6
  • TA: 50
  • CYA: 72
  • CH: 70
  • Salt: 4220

Finally got CYA up to where I want it now - took a few weeks, but I went slowly as advised. Hoping to be able to keep it here now.
FC is down a fraction, but the low light on the SWG has been on for a few days and I fixed that last night with a bag of salt so should be able to top up FC a bit - I'm aiming for between 5 and 6.

pH was at 8 yesterday, but a short dose of acid has brought it down to 7.6 which I am happy with

Haven't been to the pool shop for anything recently except to look at a new cleaner.
Managed to find Washing Soda in the supermarket ($AU 4 / kg) and Acid at the hardware store ($AU 15 / 5 litres).

Any other tips for me?

Hey Jezza,

Thanks, its starting to make sense now !

pH has been pretty good recently. 7.2 on New Years day and gradually rose over the last 3 weeks to a high of 8 yesterday which I brought back down to 7.6 last night with a splash of Acid.
TA has been really constant at between 50 and 60 ever since I started checking it.
Now that I have CYA up at 70, I know my target range for FC is 5 - 6, maybe even up closer to 7.
With all my vacuuming to waste FC has been up and down a bit, but all that is done now so FC is my primary concentration now - just need to get the FC/pH/CYA balance right and I reckon the rest seems to be pretty stable.

How's the weather in your neck of the woods? Pretty overcast and yuk here this weekend !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A great idea but a dud name if you ask me. A topperupper. I saw it in the shop when I was organising all my solar heating. But when I googled 'swimming pool top up float valve' I got nothing, plenty of other float valves but not that one. Not in eBay and when I did find their web site I had to open an account just to get a shipping cost. A good product or idea, they've sent a lot on r&d but I think they could do much better.

Wouldn't be to hard to make one, I couldn't find a side entry float valve in the US but we have them hear for arround $30. 4 2" elbows, 2 2" forcet tees for the weighted section, a float valve and a hose connector. We use snap connectors on our hoses which makes the connection easy, the US has never really embraced the snap connections on garden hoses.

Must vary by state, I've been in Home depo, lowes, target and a few others in LA lots over the years and never seen them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.