pool pilot TC and winterizing

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
It seems I need to store the 15 gallon acid feed tank and the PP digital among other things inside for the winter in NJ. I have an AG pool btw.

Not sure if I should post this here or the other board, but it is for the PP swg system mostly.

I was thinking of placing everything in the system close enough together to disconnect it as a whole and bring it inside at the end of the season. This will negate some disassembly such as the little hoses from the different units, and actually disassembling the flow sensor piping as well. There would be several unions to be placed strategically but it seems it can be done.

I also was thinking of placing the digital and the controller on their own board to remove them while they are still on the board and store them with the hoses connected. Whether I still have to remove the sensors is another matter. I'm sure I still do, but I'll ask here in case anyone knows.

Anyone with the total control system winterize it? How do you do it. I've read one person who places a bag or something over the unit, but that would still require disconnecting a few things, I'm assuming.

I'm asking this now because I want to plan the install I'll be doing,with the right mindset to disassemble it later on.

I was also thinking of plugging everything into a timer controlled receptacles to easily be removed when this is done.

Unions, valves, pics, advise? I've got the first 3, then some ideas.

thanks

One more question. Should I opt for a T(?) type PVC fitting with the 1/2" nipple for the small tubing installation, so it would be easier to disconnect later when needed? The hose type clamps that the kit comes with seems like it would be good for one time application. I wouldn't want to mess with that too many times taking it off and on again.

You need to empty the acid tank, neutralize the acid first(!) with baking soda, it can then be left outside. The acid pump head can be removed from the motor and should be disconnected from the tubes and brought inside. The PH and ORP probes get removed and stored inside, be sure to follow the directions for putting the covers on wet. All of the valves on the chemistry controller are left open over the winter. All of the tubes get removed. The connectors with metal straps that connect to the PVC get left in place, but the black nuts that hold the tube to them gets loosened and the tubes will come off. The main unit and the chemistry controller can then be wrapped in garbage bags and left out. The power should be turned off, but nothing electrical needs to be disconnected. The manifold and cell can be left out.

The tubing should all be replaced every year, though I usually go two years. The PH and ORP sensors should be replaced every two years.

OK Doesn't seem too bad. Thanks for that. The directions I read were slightly different.

I wonder why the tubes need replacing? Is it the tips get messed up from reatatching them? If so, then I wouod just make them a little longer and keep cutting them down every year or so. Where do I buy replacementas of the tubes and the sensors for that matter? I was hoping to replace the sensors when they fail. I'm hoping to save some cash that way. Ouch$$$

OT A little. Can I leave the pump outside if I empty it and wrap it up? If so, I may want to wire it directly instead of having a twist lock plug or having it at least 10 feet from the water.

Tubing is cheap, and you especially don't want acid pump out somewhere inappropriate. You can usually find it at places like Home Depot and Lowes.

The sensors are more expensive, around $200 each, and not easy to find. My PH sensor was already starting to fail towards the end of the second year. The ORP sensor was still working, but I figured I should get both of them anyway. Remember that the sensor lifetime is in calendar years, not usage years, so buy them right before you are going to start using them.

Ouch$$ X 2. lol

Thanks again. Looks like I'm set.... for now. Until another newbie question arises. ha ha.

Yes, I'm trying to read up on all the stuff, but it's harder than it seems to someone just starting out. I'll get there though. thanks!

PS I've seen those sensors inside some units for not too much more than $200 + $200 total. You could buy the whole unit and use the sensors from it, and still have some kind of controller left over. Hmmm. Not that I would do that, but it's just crazy. Wait, is this the "complaining" board? No, it isn't! lol I'm done. Hey, it will be all worth it when my kids think I'm "the greatest dad". Wait, I already AM the greatest dad. OK Now I'm done.

thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.