Measure and pour chlorine

Oct 11, 2015
Winter Park, FL
Simple question...what do you all use to measure and pour your liquid chlorine? My chlorine comes in refillable 2.5 gallon jugs, so if I need to add 58 oz. (or whatever) what's the best and easiest way? Are there large measuring cups I don't know about?

You can buy 1-qt plastic paint cups at any hardware store. The one I got from Lowes have hash marks on the side for every 4oz of liquid. It's not terribly accurate but it's convenient to get you in the ballpark. The cups cost about $1 each. I have one for acid and one for bleach. They are also handy for measuring out dry chemicals which I use a simple digital kitchen scale for assessing weight.

This goes without saying but, always keep you chemical measuring equipment separate from other household items. It's just good chemical safety practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I just use a plastic 2 cup measuring cup I got from the Dollar Store. One for chlorine and one of M. Acid. They stay with the chemical they are used for. Like Matt said they do NOT even come into the house to stay on the safe side.

Kim

I use measuring cups as well and I keep the cups with their respective chemical. Another guideline that works well for us in keeping cups used for chemicals vs. food separate in the event that a chemical cup is inadvertently not put where it belongs is that measuring cups for non-food use at our house are plastic or acrylic. Only glass measuring cups are used for food and these never leave the kitchen.

I usually round to the nearest quart or so and I just eyeball it. Each quart of 8.25% is 1ppm of FC for my pool. During winter I add either 1 gallon or 2 gallons to get it back above 10ppm. If you are reusing the same 2-1/2 gal jugs get a sharpie and mark off 1 quart lines on the sides of the jugs next time you empty them.

With MA I usually add 1-2 quarts at time and I eyeball that as well. During summer swim season I usually add it a third of a gallon at a time, which drops my PH .3ish, so 7.8ish to 7.5ish is just right. I used to mark off thirds on my MA bottles but now I just eyeball it.

Many hospitals give out quart sized mugs with their logo on them to patients. They usually have markings to the ounce and mL up the side of the cup for accurate measuring of a patient's intake. I have a few of those that I keep in the pool/spa equipment for use with those liquids.

Got any friends who work or are patients in the hospital??? :handshake:

My pool usually takes about 40oz of 12% every day or every other day depending on use. So i measured in a clear bucket 40oz and put a black mark. I measured 30 oz and put a red mark, and 50 oz and put another red mark. If i'm low on FC i fill to the top red mark, if i'm high on fc, i fill to the bottom red mark. I'm never precise. I see ppl on here measuring exactly 22.5oz and pouring in. This method is supposed to be fast...lol So i just round to the nearest line. HAHAHA Maybe i'll over shoot my FC by 1 or 2 ppm, but in the end it all balances out i think.

I just eye ball it and pour from the gallon 12.5% jug. For our pool a one gallon jug will add 6ppm chlorine so if I need only 1.5ppm I eye ball a 1/4 gallon. When we close our pool in the fall I use a clear measuring cup to add the chlorine to the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.