too much HP?

XSurfX

Sep 15, 2015
Orlando, FL
Hello, In the process of building a 14,000 gallon SWCG with spa. There's a large spillway, with 4 waterfeatures. Also have an in-floor cleaning system. I thought a booster pump would be necessary... currently installed are 2 - 2HP (2speed) pumps.

I'm just trying to identify what this pool will actually need for flows...I'm not planning on using the in-floor simultaneously with the other features.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

You are building a pool, the pumps are already installed and you want to change them out? Or are you asking if you need a booster pump in addition to the 2 pumps?

I guess I don't understand what you are asking. How about a picture of the pool features, pool equipment pad and a little more detail?

You are building a pool, the pumps are already installed and you want to change them out? Or are you asking if you need a booster pump in addition to the 2 pumps?

I guess I don't understand what you are asking. How about a picture of the pool features, pool equipment pad and a little more detail?

Total Volume including spa = 16,000 gallons
Spillway is 5' across. 2 waterbowls. Fountain in Spa and Shelf. Infloor cleaner with 26 heads, Solar/Gas Heating.

Most equipment is in, still need to Plaster. I originally planned for a VS pump + booster, PB suggested doing a 2speed 2HP pump over a VS.

The PB has installed two Superpump 2HP, 2-speed pumps instead of one + 3/4 booster. I plan on automating with Omnilogic.

Any thoughts on pump selection? I want good waterflow, but don't want to get a huge electric bill every month! Also, with the Omnilogic will I be able to dial in a preferred waterflow rate with the features. I'm guessing options will be limited compared to a VS pump.

Thanks

I have 8500 gallon pool, spa, and 3 scupper water feature. I use a Pentair 3/4hp Whisperflow for the water feature. I use a Pentair 3hp VS for pool, spa, and cleaner ( pressure side with booster ). I like that when I have water feature and spa on the appearance ( flow of water feature ) is not affected as it might be if one pump was running the system. I also like that I can dial in the speed ( with VS ) for daily circulation ( low ) , cleaner ( higher ), spa use ( even higher). My electricity is 5 cents per kw so it cost me to run 5 hours ( circulation 1700rpm ) , 1 hour ( cleaner 2800rpm ) about $5 per month.

With in-floor systems you need a lot of flow, so I think that pump be fine and allow you to run at lower speed when the cleaning is not needed. There should be no need for a booster pump.

The automation will not let you dial in a flow rate, just select from the 2 speeds. You can control valves which could help dial in where you want the water to go.

With in-floor systems you need a lot of flow, so I think that pump be fine and allow you to run at lower speed when the cleaning is not needed. There should be no need for a booster pump.

The automation will not let you dial in a flow rate, just select from the 2 speeds. You can control valves which could help dial in where you want the water to go.
Thanks. I'm sure I'll figure it out once the pool is up and running. I'll have unions put in just in case I need to swap out equipment.

My electric is about $0.10/kw , I read in another thread that the 2speed is usually the way to go if less than $0.20.

Any other thoughts or recommendations before plaster?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.