Connecting a Hayward HP50HA heat pump to a pentair easy touch

Big,

I'm far from being an expert on heat pumps, but I did look at the HP50HA manual, and it does not appear to me that your heat pump is externally controllable.

So what is it that you want your Easytouch to be able to be able to control?

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

i want the Easytouch to control the temperature of the pool and spa without me having to go to the heat pump and turn it up manually. I have the unit hardwired to one of the Easytouch relays. I just need to wire it with the low voltage wires. The Hayward HP50HA has an output for a controller. It consists of three wires, one of which says 12v, the second says Net, the third says GND. Hayward tech support told me this is where their controller would hook up. The Easytouch has a four wire com connection or a two wire heater connection.

Big,

My gut says that it is unlikely that the EasyTouch can communicate directly with your Heat Pump. It is not just a case of adding wires between the two, but I suspect they are not programmed to talk with each other. But, like I said, I have little experience with Heaters in general, so let's hope that one of the "Heater Experts" from this site can provide a better answer.

I do believe that you should be able to control the Heat Pump using the HP's flow switch and the EasyTouch's temperature probe. I'll try an experiment in the next day or so and let you how it turns out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pool automation software is stuck in the stone age. Every brand has their own software, their own connections and they rarely are able talk to other brands of equipment. We always advise to stay with the same brands for automation, pumps, heaters and saltwater chlorine generators. And usually for lights too.

Pool automation software is stuck in the stone age. Every brand has their own software, their own connections and they rarely are able talk to other brands of equipment. We always advise to stay with the same brands for automation, pumps, heaters and saltwater chlorine generators. And usually for lights too.

All I need the easy touch to do is turn the heater off when it gets up to temperature and turn it back on when the temperature drops back down. Basically I just need to bypass the thermostat on the heat pump. The easy touch has a two wire connection that says it will operate most gas heaters and heat pumps.

The Easy Touch connection to a heater consists only of a relay on the Easy Touch PCB that will close the 2 wire connection when the Easy Touch demands heat. Other than that, Easy Touch does not "talk" to any heater. The RS-485 connection on the Easy Touch will only communicate with other "smart" devices such as remote controls, VS pumps and chemical injection systems.

In looking at the manual for your heat pump, I do not see any reference to remote control of the heat pump. My Raypak heater has a specific mode that you set so that the heater will only turn on and off when the remote control cable from the heater is closed or opened by the relay on the Easy Touch. The manual for your heat pump does not show any means for setting a remote control mode.

The Easy Touch connection to a heater consists only of a relay on the Easy Touch PCB that will close the 2 wire connection when the Easy Touch demands heat. Other than that, Easy Touch does not "talk" to any heater. The RS-485 connection on the Easy Touch will only communicate with other "smart" devices such as remote controls, VS pumps and chemical injection systems.

In looking at the manual for your heat pump, I do not see any reference to remote control of the heat pump. My Raypak heater has a specific mode that you set so that the heater will only turn on and off when the remote control cable from the heater is closed or opened by the relay on the Easy Touch. The manual for your heat pump does not show any means for setting a remote control mode.

There are three connections on the heater board that say " to controller". That is where the heater tech support told me connects to the Hayward automation system.

I do have the heater connected through the relay but it doesn't turn the unit off or on unless it needs to be programmed to do that. Also, I wouldn't think it would be good for the heater to be turning the main power on and off all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Big,

Ok, here is what I recommend.

1. Run AC power to the heater without any relays.. Circuit breaker direct to heater AC input.
2. Inside your EasyTouch, take an unused Aux relay and connect its two pin coil plug to the Electric heater output on the main circuit card. It has a two pin plug just like all the Aux relays do.
3. At this point you should be able to turn the set point for the temperature you want up and down (on the EasyTouch) and make the relay go on and off.
4. You may have to turn on the heat function in your EasyTouch first.
5. Assuming you can turn the relay on and off, then open up your heater and find the wiring that goes to the flow switch (Marked FS D102 and Gnd... See your heater manual)
6. Now wire your EasyTouch relay, that is now controlled by the electric heater output, in series with the flow switch inside your heater.
7. If you now turn on your heater and set it for max temp, then "in theory" the heater should run until the EasyTouch see the temperature it wants. When that happens the relay opens and the heater stops due to a low flow interrupt.
8. Once the temperature drops below the set point the relay closes again and "in theory" the heater will turn on.

Try it and see how this works. And.. if you don't have ScreenLogic, you might want to get it as it makes turning on the heater and adjusting the set point about a 15 sec job and from inside your house.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim R.

Jim, that is a very nice solution you came up with. I did not even realize that the Easy Touch motherboard had an electric heater connector. I have a regular gas heater and just used the normal heater connections. Learn something every day on this forum!

Gary300,

Thanks.. I don't have a Spa or a heater, but I did confirm that I can turn the relay on and off by adjusting the temperature set point on the EasyTouch. It should work, but if not, it would be pretty easy to reverse.

Jim R.

F,

We never did hear back from the OP, but what I said in post #11 should work. I did try it and found I could turn the heater relay on/off using the heater set point, and in my case, ScreenLogic.

You could do it all from the panel, ScreenLogic just makes it so much easier.

It should work, but worst case you can just reconnect the heater's flow switch and you are back to your original heater set up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.