Help me choose between the STA-RITE PLDE48 or S7MD60 DE Filter

Jan 13, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Hi,

I need help deciding between these two filters. I originally had an old Sta-Rite HRB-30, 600# sand filter that did a pretty good job, but leaks in the laterals and other problems have made in unrealistic to repair. I also would like better water clarity.

I really like the ease of maintenance and durability of the S7MD60, but just ran across the PLDE48 and it was a little less expensive.

Has anyone else owned either of these models?

Thanks for the help,

Brian

Just to be rally answer, if you want the clearest possible water, then DE is your choice. Sand will always be enough for me, but it's absolutely a personal choice. I'd never choose a cartridge setup, but lots of people love them, and that's perfectly fine as well.

My cartridge filter takes an hour plus to clean and I have to clean it 2-3 times in spring and 2-3 times again in fall depending on how busy the trees are with pollen and stuff. I would probably get a sand filter if I had it to do over again. DE is off my list due to higher maintenance requirements.

My water is perfectly clear all the time, but I think that is more to do with water chemistry management than it is with filter type. Before TFPC I had some algae and water clarity issues. Now, my water stayed crystal clear even when I had some algae.

Here are a couple of articles from Pool School comparing filters and maintenance.
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Hi Brian,

So did you make a decision between the two filters? I am also looking at the S7MD60 (or maybe the S7MD72) for a new build. While these filters seems to get great reviews from industry professionals, it doesn't seem to get much exposure on TFP. Most people on this forum seem to have strong opinions on DE filters based on experiences with older technology. I too once owned a DE filter a long time ago and would never own one of those older generation filters again. However, the Sta-Rite modular DE filters (as well as the very similar Pentair Quad DE filters) don't need to be backwashed, are cleaned similar to a cartridge and with similar frequency. The big pluses I see over cartridge filters are (1) the better filtering of DE, and (2) the cartridge is a much more durable material than paper cartridges used in cartridge filters. Some claim the modular mesh of the star-rite can last 10 years or more. It seems almost too good to be true! I wish I could hear more experiences from owners of these systems, good or bad, rather than speculation based on experience with much older DE filters.

Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.