LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Against my better judgment I stopped by the local pool store. It was late, didn't want to travel cross town to Walmart. It was an odd place. All the glass windows that faced the street were painted bright blue, so no natural light could enter. When I walked in, half the lights were turned off, so it was a bit dark. I asked the pleasant kid behind the counter for four gallons of bleach.....to which he replied, you mean four gallons of LIQUID CHLORINE? Yes I said, four gallons of liquid chlorine. I checked to make sure the percentage of chlorine was at least 10% and the date was current. It was. He rang me up and uttered the words, that will be $20.45. Yep, that's right. By ignoring sound forum warnings about the dangers of pool stores and being a bit lazy about a short drive, I paid over $5.00/gallon for two/two gallon boxes of liquid chlorine. It would have cost just about $13.00 if I'd have driven to the Walmart. The last time I took a short cut in pool care I ended up with a cloudy/greenish pool in need of a slam. Lesson learned. Mama told me not to come.......

Well, you saved on gas and time... Oh well.

I have purchased chlorine late in the season from pool stores. I always ask up-front "how much?" If it's outrageous, I will buy a gallon to tide me over. I like the stronger percent of "liquid chlorine" over bleach.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly the store you're referring to. I'm amazed the kid didn't give you the lecture about how much salt the liquid chlorine will leave behind so you should buy trichlor pucks instead. :confused:

For what it's worth, I get 12.5% HASA chlorine in returnable jugs cheaper, over on Barranca.

You know, if it was 12.5% it might be worth the extra $1.75 per bottle and less driving. But 10% is not much more than bleach since they raised the concentration.

Might want to check out Richard's source if you can, sounds like a good option and returnable is nice.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Here in South Florida Leslie's sells 2 refillable jugs (5 gal total) for $10 normal but they almost always have a coupon for $7. It's 10% but at $1.4 per gal. it's a pretty good deal compared to the box stores around here that work out around $3+. They seem to go through a high volume so it should be pretty fresh. Every time I've been in there at least one other customer is buying a couple of jugs.

I guess every store is different but this one seems to go out of their way to get you the best coupon even if you don't have one with you. Other than chlorine their prices are very high but if I need something in a short time they have a lot in stock. I've never done any testing there and don't plan to. I'm sold on my TF-100 and the TFP routine!

Hope this helps.

Chris

Richard...I'm sure you've been by there. I will try the pool store on Barranca. Back in the day, my dad used to go to a pool store in that location.
Borjis....yep, nothing like being slapped in the face with the smell of chemicals late in the day.
Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Community is nice......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.