LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Has anyone done this and would it be ok to do?

My daughter just bought a house with a small inground pool (15000-15300 gal) and would like to put a SWG on it. We have an ABG pool (15300) with an aquatrol that does a great job. It is cheaper than an aquarite, and with just buying the house, she is trying to keep the cost down because the pool is going to have to have a new liner too, so I am wondering if anyone has used an Aquatrol on an inground pool and is there any harm in doing so?

thank you, Nancy

It will work just fine if you adapt the plumbing and electrical connections and your pump isn't too large. The maximum flow rate on an above ground SWG cell is lower than for an in-ground unit and the various connections will probably need adapters.

It can be done but I would not recommend it. The AquaRite is hardwired for eletrical and the cell connectors are designed for plumbing into rigid PVV along with the flow switch since in ground pools are considered permanent structures. The AquaTrol is designed to be plugged in and the pump plugged into it. Also the cell (which does not product as much chlorine as the standard Aquarite TC-15 cell but is the TC-5 cell) is designed to be attached to either flex pipe or in the AGP skimmer, which is a different design than an inground skimmer. What you would end up with would be rather Robe Goldberg and could present some safety issues. Also the additional cost of converting the unit to work with both the plumbing and electrical involved needs to be taken into consideratin

Wow Strannik... I did not relize how my question would come across! I am not giving up my SWG! I was just wondering if anyone had used a SWG that was specified for an ABG pool on an IG pool and if it would work. Thanks for the perspective! Nancy

Aside from flow issues discussed above, I have several builders that install the AquaTrol on smaller, fiberglass pools. The AquaTrol is rated (officially) for up to 15K gallons, but that is generally "wide open", or having the generator running virtually all the time. It will use up the cell faster, but will probably be effective in your inground, with the other caviats.

You can get the aquatrol with hose / pipe fittings. I ordered mine with hose / pipe connections and with a twist lock recepticle. I installed it with will all rigid PVC, The pipe is just solvent welded into the unions of the cell. The twist lock version is rated for 20 amps, 110 volts, so depending on your pump size this could easily work out. I bought mine on ebay from aquasuperstore for $538 last year. I really like the fact the it also controls the pump so there was no need for an extra timer. Over all I was very happy with its performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.