Pool cover starting to get tight

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hello, when I closed my above ground pool, I drained below the skimmer but still plugged the skimmer. Well, the plug didn't do its job, and when the surface water began to freeze, I'm guessing it pushed the un frozen water up and into the skimmer. I didn't realize this was happening and the water in the skimmer froze and the skimmer body cracked. Anyway, my water level went down as a result. I had some water on my cover which is now frozen. But since the level went down in the pool, the ice is pushing down more on the cover and it's tight around the edges. It's not bending the frame, but there is a big winter storm coming and I'm going to have to shovel snow off the top. My question is, should I unclip my winter cover and take the string off that holds it in place, so it's not pulling? There's no chance the cover will blow away with the ice on top (yes I used air pillows and they are still inflated). Any thoughts are really appreciated. Thanks!

From my experience.
I have no trees, so I go cover less now due to same issues.
Release tension from cable that straps cover down and if possible flip edges of cover over top rail into pool area so no cable is under frame rail.
Even if the frame doesn't get pulled in it will most likely rip the cover.I messed with covers for 3 years and continually removing snow from it after plowing,shoveling the driveways was a joke and not funny around here.As far as the skimmer crack? I disconnect the hose from it to the pump and the same with return fitting and cap skimmer and plug return.Congrats on keeping air pillow full of air.
I never had luck on those POS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.