Construction Advice Requested

autjo

Jan 20, 2016
Austin, TX
Have a couple of questions and hope you guys can help. Tried to provide some back ground for reference:

Plaster - We are installing Finest Finish Arctic Coast Laguna. Picked this because the pebble tec on our first pool tore up my husband's delicate feet ;) Filled the pool and it was more of a white Caribbean plaster instead of blue Laguna. Did a Traditional Start Up based on recommendation from PB. Gave it 7 days and still hated the color. PB and plaster sub said it was the color I picked and it wouldn't change much. 14 days after plaster and realized the plaster dust was terrible and aggregate was missing in large spots. Complained again and the plaster sub decided to do an Acid Start Up. Now the pool was Laguna! But the plaster dust and aggregate still looked horrible. So plaster sub decided to drain the pool and re-polish. After that re-polish, the finish was rough. So now they are grinding.
Note - they re-plastered the spa after some plumbing fixes and it looks fantastic.

Plaster Questions
1. Long story to get here, but should I be concerned that 2 polishes, 1 grinding and not having water in the pool for several days will impact the integrity of the plaster?
2. What is a reasonable amount of time/effort for plaster dust to go away?

Inspection Question - It's late in the process, but we live in SW Austin outside of the city limits and permits are not required.
3. Should we hire an independent inspector to ensure everything is up to standards?

TIA!
~ Autumn

Perhaps I am overreacting, but I really don't like that there are spots that have no aggregate showing. The areas in the pics are about 2 ft x 1 ft.

b7db72c5bbb62e44c42ba180e12752e7.jpg
86b842cf81cc58254fc6f4d7f6843344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pics of the plaster dust. Plaster sub is saying that it will take 3-6 months with wire hand brush to make it go away. Not sure how I will hand brush in Feb in 6 ft of water. Does that sounds right?

96c8e6777a600a0d80bc1af1c49e823f.jpg

7bc666e68effb3154e3848039cc32501.jpg

Use a brush on a pole to reach the bottom. But, no, that is not right. The acid wash should have cleared the plaster and exposed the aggregate. It looks like they didn't acid wash enough in some areas. They should acid wash those areas to correct it. My PB fixed a couple of spots with the pool still full of water by pouring acid down a tube to the area and brushing.

However, regular brushing and time, as they said, will also expose the aggregate.

The plaster sub was pouring acid down a pvc pipe for several days with no real change. The only thing they manage to do was make the bottom rough. The Arctic Coast series is a polished smooth finish. I feel like this will be a never ending cycle since they didn't get it right the first round.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thx friends! Just feeling disheartened as the build has gone well, but now we're stuck dealing with the plaster sub and he's telling us there is nothing he can do to get the finish correct. We called a rep from Finest Finish and they are going to come out. FX we can get this figured out soon.

Plastered

Update:
Met with the sales rep and the finish is not correct so we will prepare for another round of polishing. Sales rep and installer are not concerned, but...

Does anyone know if all this work will impact the longevity or PSI of the plaster?

Did this ever get resolved? Would like to hear/see the update.

Also, could you PM me your pool builder and the plaster sub? I'm in Austin and dealing with a potential replaster after our Diamond Brite has completely faded after 8 years.

Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.