First test results after lowering high CYA

Oct 11, 2015
Winter Park, FL
Bought my house in October of last year and it came with a pool. I'm from Chicago area, so I knew nothing about maintaining a pool. Luckily I found this site rather quickly and didn't get pool stored (or however you phrase it).

Long story, short...once I got the green cesspool looking like a clear, celestial pool, I started taking tests. Found that my CYA was 250-300! From reading here, I knew to drain the water to lower it. That's been my obsession for the last 2 weeks...diluting and draining.

Just last night did my pool finally fill up from, what I hope is the last partial draining and here's my test results using a K-2006 kit:

FC: 6.4
CC: 0
Ph: 7.8 (best I could tell)
TA: 90
CH: 140-160
CYA: 40ish

How's these levels look? I know the CH is low and I'm in the process of adding some calcium chloride per the pool math's recommendations. See anything else I need to do?

Funny story...when I went to the pool store today to purchase the calcium chloride, I brought a water sample for them to test so I could compare to my results (BTW, they were way off on some things). They always ask how the pool is doing. I told them my stabilizer has been way too high so I just completed a 50% drain and finally got it to where I wanted it (kind of knowing I'd get a reaction :D). He immediately got upset and scolded me for doing that and said I basically screwed up all the chemicals in the pool. He says the CYA is MUCH too low and now I'll have to add all kinds of stuff to fix what I did and that I'll have a green swamp again as soon as the temp goes back up. My pool can't survive without chlorine tablets says him. I pointed out that using chlorine tablets would continuously raise the CYA levels and that on their literature, it says that if stabilizer is too high, a partial drain should happen. I asked him what he considers too high to be. He said to ignore what it says, that they disagree with their corporate's advice on where to keep the stabilizer level. And then he said this...your stabilizer isn't too high until it gets to the 2000-3000 ppm range :shock:, but until then, we can let it go! I almost laughed out loud. If I was more confident in my knowledge and abilities, I would have debated him as the store was dead, but I let it go.

I'll get my chlorine from there and pool parts as I need them and a good laugh once in a while, but never will I take their advice! Thanks for all the great advice on here!!

Just did another CH test an hour after adding calcium chloride and results came back around 220 +/- a drop. Is that acceptable or should I add a bit more?
You will want to bring it up at least a little. With a plaster manually chlorinated (liquid chlorine) you wan to keep in the 250-350 range.

Good work with the pool store. When I'm bored I'll take a water sample in to see what they say. Funny thing is, they always see something to try to sell me a product to "fix". I always just say "great, I have some of that at home".

:goodjob: Good job screwing up your chemicals! Numbers look good. Did you ask him how he tests for 2000 CYA? LOL!!!

Every time I brought in a water sample, their tests always showed my CYA level being at 100. I knew it was much higher, but then when I asked about it, they said that's as high as it goes for them. I'm sure with a bit more knowledge, I could go in there and get them to contradict themselves with what they (don't) know. Good pool logic would eat them alive!

- - - Updated - - -

When I'm adding drops and the red water starts to turn blue, should I interpret purple as red and keep adding or interpret it as blue and stop? This is why I say my CH is 220+/-.

When I'm adding drops and the red water starts to turn blue, should I interpret purple as red and keep adding or interpret it as blue and stop? This is why I say my CH is 220+/-.
ANY drops base test should be done by adding drops one at a time until you observe no further color change.

Are you using a speedstir?

No speedstir...it's all in the wrist! Just finished reading a sticky further explaining each test and it talked about the purple color...called it a "fading endpoint". With what you said and after reading that explanation, I believe my CH to be on the higher end of my testing range. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was all :pale: when you said you took water the pool store then I was all :shock: when I saw his numbers! UNREAL!

I very happy to see you have listened and learned. You will LOVE being here at TFP! I would LOVE for you to stay around and help others as they come here to learn so you can share what you have learned.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.