Make builder redo water feature?

Wow. My concern about asking the builder to re-do it: is he capable of doing it right? There is such a big difference between what was requested and what was delivered. Hopefully you still have a big retainage that you held back, and you can use it as leverage and/or to pay someone to create the feature you expected.

Yes I would have it redone also. But my concern would be to find out what was stipulated in the contract. Did it just say water feature or waterfall? If so then you might not have a case. But, if it's much more specific then for sure you do.

Just playing devils advocate....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope he's not real proud of his creation. If he's proud of it, reality might hurt.

Agreed that it depends what's in your contract or drawings. Did your picture get attached to the contract by any chance? Or maybe if his bid, or the contract, included a separate price in the $000s for the water feature, you could argue that something more was reasonably expected.

That is a sad interpretation of your picture. My experience was that natural water features like you pictured are spec'd in terms of tons of material, and they are more expensive than raised beams. Good luck to you on this, because the design is gorgeous!

Good luck with fighting the contractor. Was the picture attached to the contract? I won't use the words I'd like to describe the contractor. But if sued in small claims he can just say he never saw the picture. How much did you pay this guy? The one in the picture is $3 to $5 thousand in my market.
The main thing you have going for you is that the completed project looks like a sixth grade science project.

This type thing can never be resolved by this forum. You and your builder have to work out what each of you will accept.

Those two pics are so conflicting I can't help but think there has been a complete lack of communication......can you restore that with him?

So my husband is confirming that even a modest waterfall feature would cost $6-7K based on our PB estimates. And by modest, it was less than your picture. We had some landscaping steps placed in our yard for ~ $4K for reference.

The contractor has agreed to demo the existing and start over. This time I'm going to be onsite, pick out the stones ahead of time, and even dry build it near where it will ultimately go. Pretty ridiculous but I'll hopefully get this resolved

The contractor has agreed to demo the existing and start over. This time I'm going to be onsite, pick out the stones ahead of time, and even dry build it near where it will ultimately go. Pretty ridiculous but I'll hopefully get this resolved

I am glad to hear that! I have to wonder if he would want you to "showcase" his first work? I would NOT!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.