Is my new pump supposed to be this loud?

I would call Hayward Customer service directly. (908) 355-7995 (U.S.)

This is a warranty claim and if the dealer does not want to deal with it I suspect Hayward will.

Send them the you tube video and a link to this thread.

That is wayyyyy toooo loud

I would call Hayward Customer service directly. (908) 355-7995 (U.S.)

This is a warranty claim and if the dealer does not want to deal with it I suspect Hayward will.

Send them the you tube video and a link to this thread.

That is wayyyyy toooo loud

I actually did contact Hayward, they said they don't have a decibel chart on this model but it would be louder than a variable speed pump (gee, you think?)

I have a 3-HP WhisperFlo pump on my waterfall. The PB completely oversized the pump for the need. It would always make loud cavitation noise if I let too much water go to the waterfall (the plumbing has a 3-way split so I can adjust flow between the waterfall and a wall return). Essentially there was not enough head loss on the output for the pump and water flow rates were way too high since the water feature is really nothing more than straight pipe with open ends. Finally we cut in an additional shut off valve so I could cut back the flow essentially adding head loss to quiet the pump down. That is just a kludge fix as the real fix should have been to properly size the pump for the task - a whisperflo is NOT a waterfall pump. It's still a fairly loud pump even with the added loss and I thankfully only run the waterfall a few times per day.

My point in telling that story is you're going to have to find the "band-aid & bubblegum" solution that works best to quiet the problem but, at the end of the day, the real fix is to get the right pump for the job. A single-speed, high HP pump was not the right choice on the part of your PB and you may be forced to pay for his carelessness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

If you're not able to resolve this any other way, maybe you could mount a transducer to the base to act as a vibration cancelling device by vibrating 180 degrees out of phase with the noise.

Note that this would not be a preferred solution and it would probably not be practical. Eliminating the vibration is the best route.

If you're not able to resolve this any other way, maybe you could mount a transducer to the base to act as a vibration cancelling device by vibrating 180 degrees out of phase with the noise.

Note that this would not be a preferred solution and it would probably not be practical. Eliminating the vibration is the best route.

Clever, a stealth pump.

Might be cheaper to enclose the sides of the pump pad with concrete block and direct the noise up above the house.

I actually did contact Hayward, they said they don't have a decibel chart on this model but it would be louder than a variable speed pump (gee, you think?)
The wet end on both a Whisperflo and Intelliflo are identical. Also a EcoStar and a TriStar have identical wet ends so there is no difference in the actual pump design and at the same RPM, the pump (wet end) noise should be identical. However, there are substantial differences in motor designs butthe parts that generate noise (primarily the bearings) are not much different between the motor types so I would not expect much of a difference here either as long as they are operating at the same RPM. The primary reason that VS appears to have less noise is only because you can set the RPM much lower in a VS which then results in lower noise level. However, at the same RPM, I would expect a similar noise level, as long as both pump's were new.

Zolakk,

I've been watching and see you're still not finding a way to fix this. Seems like we're all grasping at straws to some degree. So I went back and looked at the spectrum analysis others referred to earlier and I analyzed the recording through my sound analyzer. That 345 Khz peak others mentioned in an earlier post is intriguing so I analyzed mine. No peak, pretty much a flat profile, and by the way, now that I check closely mine is definitely noticeably more quiet than yours. Also, ignore the db readings as they're not comparable. We've got 30+ mph winds today howling through here in Florida and I captured your profile on the small computer speaker. What's important in this analysis is the sound profile.

Here's my sound profile (recorded earlier today):

Jandy 1hp profile.jpg

And then here's your profile (from the recording on your post):

Zolakk Recording Profile.jpg

Notice that peak on yours at about 344 Khz? I've performed this test over and over with the same results. Based on comments previous about this peak matching up pretty close to the frequency of the vanes in the impeller I wonder if you have something wrong with your impeller (cracked or broken) or something stuck in it? May be worth a try to take a look. I've seen damaged impellers cause this before but I kind of blew that issue off since it's a new pump. But a loose nut or piece of gravel in the basket could easily do this. If you try this approach be sure to check carefully for cracks. Sometime they close up until the pump spins at high speed. Last time I bought an impeller around this size it was only about $30. May be worth a try to swap it and see if that solves it. I learned a long time ago when things break always try the simple stuff first. Looks like you've tried the very simple stuff and this might be the next level.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Plaster pool finish or ? I'm curious, what is the filter tank pressure? ( I bet it's high ) your pump is sized to the spa , usually on higher end builds a separate jet booster pump that only when needed provides the high h.p. for maximum jet therapy action, and does not share pool circulation and filtration duty, this would be achieved by pump 2, a 1hp pool circ pump to be used for normal day to day operation, that sits next to the 2 hp jet booster pump. Because you share one pump for both pool, and spa, a builder will make sure the pump will be sized to the spa, because if he doesn't, it will almost be a certainty your complaint will be about how there is no, or very little, spa jet pressure when you use the spa, in the long run you will pay out the nose in monthly utility bills running that monster 2 hp pump as your circ pump, compared to a 1 hp pump, the curve chart on that beast i figure to be medium to high head, which translates into a noise maker indeed, when considering its usual role as a water feature pump, or spa jet pump, noise wouldn't be an issue due to the fractional amount of use when compared to a normal circ pump role, now without laying eyes on it, its impossible know exactly, but im sure you can understand now, the pool builders dilemma, if he installed a 1 hp pump. I notice the filter is bare minimum size, and if your pool is plaster that means your plaster dust conditions will clog the filter capacity in no time as a result of the new start up, so while that pump is perfect for the spa, it is absolute overkill for a daily circ pump, which 95% of the pump will be used for, normal circ, or filter pressure is 10-15 psi on a clean filter, where is your pressure at now? 20,25,30psi? im just curious

Energy efficient don't mean jack squat on that beast motor, compared to a 1 hp motor, you can expect that monster to be double a 1 hp, every month on your utility bill KW consumption, i would definitely look into an upgrade, or trade off of sorts, from the current set up, to favor more of an economical approach, which over 1-2 years should provide an offset with utility savings to justify the funds required for a VS pump, larger filter maybe, etc. there is more than one way to skin this cat, 2 speed motor set up that can retain hp for spa, 1/8 low speed for circ and economical benefits,etc.

Plaster pool finish or ? I'm curious, what is the filter tank pressure? ( I bet it's high ) your pump is sized to the spa , usually on higher end builds a separate jet booster pump that only when needed provides the high h.p. for maximum jet therapy action, and does not share pool circulation and filtration duty, this would be achieved by pump 2, a 1hp pool circ pump to be used for normal day to day operation, that sits next to the 2 hp jet booster pump. Because you share one pump for both pool, and spa, a builder will make sure the pump will be sized to the spa, because if he doesn't, it will almost be a certainty your complaint will be about how there is no, or very little, spa jet pressure when you use the spa, in the long run you will pay out the nose in monthly utility bills running that monster 2 hp pump as your circ pump, compared to a 1 hp pump, the curve chart on that beast i figure to be medium to high head, which translates into a noise maker indeed, when considering its usual role as a water feature pump, or spa jet pump, noise wouldn't be an issue due to the fractional amount of use when compared to a normal circ pump role, now without laying eyes on it, its impossible know exactly, but im sure you can understand now, the pool builders dilemma, if he installed a 1 hp pump. I notice the filter is bare minimum size, and if your pool is plaster that means your plaster dust conditions will clog the filter capacity in no time as a result of the new start up, so while that pump is perfect for the spa, it is absolute overkill for a daily circ pump, which 95% of the pump will be used for, normal circ, or filter pressure is 10-15 psi on a clean filter, where is your pressure at now? 20,25,30psi? im just curious

Pool finish is plaster, and pressure is right about 30 psi which is what they set as the low mark (50 being high) on the guage. The filter is a C3030 325sqft model. Hayward said that it is a high head pump when I contacted them initially about the noise as well so you are right with that. I totally get why they gave me the size pump they did because of the spa and in-floor cleaning.

CRB:
I'll take a look to see if there's something in the impeller too, there were a good bit of rocks and stuff that came through into the basket when they initially fired it up so maybe something slipped through

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The setup we have has a 2hp pump for the spa jets only which is used when they are turned on and a 1.5hp for the pool and spill over. Maybe you can plumb a new pump for the pool/water feature and use the one you have for just the jets when needed.

The PB is coming by to look at one of my lights and they agreed to look at the pump again. Also, Hayward emailed me back again saying that it might be a warranty issue after all and sent me a list of places to contact in the area. I'll let everyone know what comes of it

So both came back and said that there is nothing wrong with the pump, so it's back to external methods of controlling the sound. I've been seeing a lot of recommendations to put the pump on an anti-vibration mat, as this one is currently bolted directly to the slab the put on the dirt but i'm not sure i'd have the clearance to put anything thicker than a piece of paper between the pump and concrete without having to cut and re-do all the plumbing from the ground which is kind of a non-starter for me. I think I might see if I can find something on the weekend to put between the equipment and the wall (aside from vibration, i'm guessing my next biggest problem is reflection from the cinder block) to see if it helps enough before sinking major bucks into a better barrier - I have plenty of other future projects I can use a piece of particle board for anyway. I see stuff like this (https://www.quietfence.com/) for AC units that might do the trick too, i'm going to email them to see how they think it would work for my situation

I heard back from the QuietFence people and they said their product should work good for my situation so I bit the bullet and ordered two to see how well it works. Each is two 25" panels joined by a hinge so it should give me some flexibility in figuring out optimal placement. When they come in, I will report back with my findings

Zolakk, great to hear you finally get some good news. The quiet fence looks like a much better solution when my heat protection blanket idea. Good luck and fingers crossed for you over here in Florida.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but that is NOT LOUD for a 2HP motor running at 3400 RPM. My 1.5HP BLDC hayward sounds roughly the same when it's cranked up to full tilt (I'll see if I can borrow our dB meter from the office, or use the app)

It may sound louder in the house due to resonant frequencies (and it's so close) - I know at night every once in a while my Superpump will wake me up and it's 40 feet from my bedroom. The windows must get vibrating at the same frequency or something.

72ish DB is pretty standard for a 2HP single speed motor (NEMA allows up to 92 or so IIRC) I'll betcha if you put a rheostat on the power line and turned it down it would be a whole lot quieter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.