how to measure low pH accurately?

Keeping your pool water with a pH in this range will cause damage to your plumbing and pool surfaces. This is not a good way to remove your scale. Scale is usually taken care of by draining, followed by an acid wash.

thanks, i know that it's risky. either way, if it doesn't work, i'm due for a replaster anyhow. and i bypassed the heater (we never use it anyway - had fun cutting and pasting pvc pipes!)

i'd rather take the risk, given that the reward could be my kids without cut up knees and toes.

now, back to the topic's question - anyone seen a low measuring pH 'meter'/ testtube?

i'm off to the gardenshed to find out if my soil pH meter will work in my pool. if not, then i may go hunting at poolstores.

If the scale areas are small, a fine grit wet sandpaper works really well.

However, if you really want to do this with acid while the pool is filled, then perhaps you should follow the instructions for a plaster pool acid start. This is usually done for new plaster pools but I have heard that some use it for just the purpose you are suggesting.

Here is a procedure you can use. It uses more acid and borax (PH up) than a simple drain and acid wash and be aware that you can damage the surface doing this. So only do this if you really don't care about your pool surface. Also, you should NOT run the equipment during this procedure.

The goal of an acid start is to get TA to drop to a very low level for only a few days so PH is not all that important to know accurately. TA can be measured at any level but once it drops to 0-5 ppm, there is no point in adding any more acid. The instructions suggest 3.5 gallons per 10000 gallons of water. I have heard of higher acid amounts than that but you should not need more than 5 gallons per 10000 gallons of water. However, it is important that you follow the instructions so as not to damage the surface more than necessary. In your case, the pool may never feel slimy as they suggest so you may have to go by time and not leave it that way for more than a few days.

This is an experimental procedure for your application so use it at your own risk and take precautions to prevent damage to equipment, surrounding materials, landscaping and the pool surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.