The Final Straw - Tile/Plaster Expertise Appreciated

dmalma

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2014
Murrieta, CA
My pool experience hasn't been as great as others I've read about on TFP. In fact, it's truly been a case of whatever could go wrong has. BUT I thought I'd finally gotten past the dark days of my build and was looking forward to the "cherry on top" (aka the plaster) to bring it all together. Instead the plaster is just the final straw and a fitting end to the entire build. After hiring so many different subs during the OB process with nothing but problems we decided to pay more and hire a pool plaster company to do our coping, tile and plaster. I really wanted Pebble Tec, but this company only used Stonescapes so that's the color palette I had to choose from. I wanted a dark blue water color and really liked Ocean Blue in PT and told the plaster company that. They said the equivalent would be Midnight Blue in SC, but in looking at the aggregate the blue stones looked cheap so they showed me a video of a pool they'd just plastered where they'd used Midnight Blue SC, but had removed the blue stones, and the pool had a deep blue color to it. So that's the combination I chose. The dark blue water color I wanted was a theme I carried through to the tile I chose from MasterTile: Oasis Series Blue (see below).

Well my pool was completely filled on Thursday night last week and the plaster company's start-up guy came out on Saturday to get things going (pool equipment, chemicals, etc.). I initially thought the predominantly green water in the pool was the result of the city water we filled it with needing chemicals and, to a very small extent, it was. But now it's Tuesday and I still have more green water than blue so I can only surmise it's permanent because the color hasn't changed one bit since Sunday morning. (The pool depth goes from 3.6" to 7" and the water starts looking green by the 2nd step in the shallow end.) No matter what time of the day, I have pool color that's more green than blue. (The water has plenty of chlorine in it, a decent amount of muriatic acid, and zero metals.) Too bad it clashes with the deep blue tile I had installed. When I look at my pool all I see is a bad mistake that I want to hide from. I literally have been unable to sleep since Sunday and have cried over the whole mess. However, as much as I can't stand the water color, what bothers me more is the clashing of the blue tile with the green water. In fact, the only time I can tolerate looking at the pool is at night because you can't see the mistake in colors since you can't see much of any color.

I get that it's hard to perfectly match the tile to the pool color because the pool color changes throughout the day, but the problem with my pool is that there's no time that it even comes close to matching (blue vs green). I'm wondering if it's possible to change the pool tile without damaging the plaster or creating a demarcation line between the tile and the plaster, assuming I can find a tile that's the exact same size as the one installed. (Not all tiles are truly 6x6). Are there any experts out there who would know about this? Also, is it normal for there be plaster covering the aggregate still after the acid wash? It's mostly in the curves of the pool (steps, transition from sides to floor) and on some of the floor.

Thanks for your help.
Laura

It would be nearly impossible. You may be surprised how much it changes with a little time. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like there are some Browns in the aggregate. Is that true? If so, it may lean toward a greener spectrum even with some time, but remember that surroundings play a huge role on the outcome as well. Honestly, I say give it some time, and you may be surprised how it changes. It may not be what you had pictured, but it's really gorgeous like it is.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the color. That looks very similar to mine (I have midnight blue), and I don't think it clashes at at. Mine takes on very different shades of colors depending on where the sun is, items that are in the pools reflection and cloud cover. I have seen it look very green, but that has been a rare circumstance.

I would have pulled the tan colored aggregate before I ever touched the blue. Blue + Yellow (tan in this case)= Green

What ever happened with the pool shell, did I miss some updates?

Thanks, Patrick. I can handle the water or the tile, just not the 2 together, but I guess it's all mine now. I pretty much figured it would be too hard to just change the tile, but thought I'd ask anyway. Here's a close-up of the plaster. It does look like there are a few brown pieces in it. The plaster matches the tile beautifully. The water doesn't.
Close up of the plaster:

Hi, Brian.

The plaster company fixed the cracks. Since it's not possible to retile without replastering is it possible to replaster without retiling? Honestly, in person, there's no way the pool color comes close to matching or complementing the tile.

I think it looks nice, fwiw -- Is it possible that the reflection of the hills adjoining your property enhance the greener elements of the plaster?

Also, I was wondering how you resolved the shell cracking issues?? Oy, what a difficult build this has been for you!!!

I'm sorry you are having these problems. A couple of points. You have saved gobbs of cash on not having a pool builder. I know its great sport on here to trash PBs (I've done it myself) But in both these areas a good experienced pool builder could have helped.

One point of information for the folks reading this thread. Pebble tec and its offspring Pebble Sheen and pebble whatever are proprietary products and can only be installed by authorized distributors. If you want to have them you need to go to the authorized distributor for your area.

I think your water will change over time. Partially as it all settles in and partially your perception of the water. I doubt it will ever be what you want. Yes you can change the tile. But there will almost certainly be some spots with problems.

I would move the spa controller out of the tile line. I generally think that is a lousy place for them anyway. Sounds great but in the long run they all have problems there.

We saved zero cash on this job being OB. With the thought that a pool builder might have been able to prevent some of the issues we had we decided to pay a premium and use a licensed, experienced pool plaster company to finish it off since we were sick of dealing with problems and wanted no problems with the "eye candy". The sad thing is when you look at the pool in person it looks like a mistake. Sad to pay $15,000 for a mistake (plaster $12,000; tile $3,000).

QUOTE=gwegan;959882]I'm sorry you are having these problems. A couple of points. You have saved gobbs of cash on not having a pool builder. I know its great sport on here to trash PBs (I've done it myself) But in both these areas a good experienced pool builder could have helped.

One point of information for the folks reading this thread. Pebble tec and its offspring Pebble Sheen and pebble whatever are proprietary products and can only be installed by authorized distributors. If you want to have them you need to go to the authorized distributor for your area.

I think your water will change over time. Partially as it all settles in and partially your perception of the water. I doubt it will ever be what you want. Yes you can change the tile. But there will almost certainly be some spots with problems.

I would move the spa controller out of the tile line. I generally think that is a lousy place for them anyway. Sounds great but in the long run they all have problems there.[/QUOTE]

I'm not selling pebble products but the one thing you get is color consistency. The color you order is the color you get. The dealers can't play with the mix. They may not look like what it looked like at the showroom but that is generally because the surrounding environment and lighting is different.

As you have found out the heard way playing with colors in plaster is always somewhat of a gamble. The safe alternative is to chose a premixed color and don't play with it.

Since it sounds like it's impossible to retile without damaging the plaster do you think I could replaster without retiling?

I'm not selling pebble products but the one thing you get is color consistency. The color you order is the color you get. The dealers can't play with the mix. They may not look like what it looked like at the showroom but that is generally because the surrounding environment and lighting is different.

As you have found out the heard way playing with colors in plaster is always somewhat of a gamble. The safe alternative is to chose a premixed color and don't play with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, sorry for your troubles, I think the pool looks awesome, I know it's frustrating to get everything perfect, believe me I know! I would give it some more time to adjust, but you are making me really think about the plaster color we choose. I think in time you will adjust to it, it does look very nice, but I do understand your concerns.

I think it looks great! I like the color but it does not matter what I think I am sorry to say :(

Yes you CAN replaster for a cost. How big a cost I do not know. They will have to chip out this plaster, clean it up, replaster it.

Kim

I'm so sorry for your heartache! My heart just breaks for you, I can feel how crushed you are :(

Is your tile what is shown above with the globby goo and the controller? If that's a close up of it, I think your water looks nice with it. The tan in the lie mix of the tile goes with your coping and water color. Maybe after awhile it will grow on you, but, honestly, I think it looks nice.

In looking at the other pictures, it looks like the water looks blue without any shadow cast on it, but looks more green with shadow from surround trees (or whatever that is in the bg casting a shadow). I noticed the same thing when looking at my PB's display pool on a cloudy day and when the sun was setting. The plaster I have picked is a vibrant blue in full sun, but decided green hued with overcast skies or shadows cast upon it.

If you look at your water in the above picture right below the purple looking hose, the water is very blue and looks to be in full sun. Above that it looks greener and is shaded.

If you want to replaster your pool, I would go online to Pebbletec and find who installs in your area. Or you could call them and see if they recommend anyone who would do a replaster. I would probably give it more time to see if it clears up, but ultimately if you are unhappy with it and can manage it financially, then have it redone. It's your pool and you have to live with it.

Since you have screenlogic, I would just abandon the spa side remote all together. I know you already paid for the controller and have it installed, but working your spa water level around a device that your phone can easily and better replace is never a good idea.

Replastering is going to be expensive and poses a whole new set of potential issues. You'll have to decide if the expense is worth the trouble.

Sorry that you've had such a bad experience. Just because many people have bad experiences with pool builders, doesn't mean that they will have a good owner builder experience.

Hi

I can understand what you feel about the color of the pool. We were building a "white" stucco house which ended up looking beige/ yellow. It matched the stucco shade card exactly - but when it was put on the house - it looked completely different. The builder explained that once they get the landscaping and concrete driveways done, the color will look much different than when the house is surrounded by brown mud. I did not believe them one bit. Just like you I lost complete interest in this house...

Fortunately my story had a good ending - the green grass and gray concrete now makes the house look a perfect white. I still cannot believe that these things affect the color so much. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it myself.

As someone else here mentioned earlier, the hills in the background, the beige / cream pool deck all contribute to color of the pool - not just the plaster. I have seen pool threads here that looked like yours in the beginning and then transformed within a couple of weeks to sparkling blue - so keep the hope and good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.