Pentair VS Pump - Control Panel Issues

Nov 7, 2014
DFW
We built our pool a little over a year ago, and we have had to replace the electronic control panel on the top of our Pentair pump twice so far due to water damage. It has been covered by warranty, but I'd prefer not to go through this every six months. The first time, the panel went out immediately after a severe thunderstorm. The second time, it went out a few weeks after a severe storm. My question is, do people typically have some sort of cover/enclosure for their pool equipment to protect them from the elements, or should I at least cover it temporarily during storms? We don't get a ton of rain down here, but we can get some very heavy storms from time to time. I'm just trying to figure out ways to prevent this from happening over and over. Thanks.

I have a Pentair VS pump and have done a couple of things to protect it.
One, I have a cover over it to protect it from the heavy rain we have during monsoon season. It is just a plastic storage bin from Home Depot that I cut up with a utility knife to fit over the pump, but it does a good job of keeping rain and moisture off the pump.

Two, I have added two "whole house" type surge protectors. One is at my main service panel and protects all my electronics from surges coming from the power grid. The second, smaller on is on my pool sub-panel and protects all my pool equipment. The long run of wire between the main panel and sub panel can act kind of like an antenna picking up stray power spikes, during thunderstorms. Cost for both surge protectors about $150, plus $8 for the storage bin/cover.

I would think that the surge protector will buy you more protection than the cover. Ours has been uncovered for 3-1/2 years with no issues. But, a cover could certainly help.

As I said I used two whole hours surge protectors. Here is the smaller one I used on the pool sub panel. At only $25 it's cheap protection.

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

And here is the larger one (Eaton Ultra) that I installed at my main service panel. At $110, it cost a bit more but has a higher surge capacity and protects the whole house. A little hunting you may find it for $100 or less with no shipping. I did.

Surge Protect, 120/240V, 108kA Max, 20kA In: Circuit Breakers: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

It's an easy DIY as long as you know what you are doing and are ok working with electrical. Instructions are clear and straightforward. I did both is an afternoon. I highly recommend both. The one in Jim's previous post will fit only a SquareD box and uses up two breaker slots. Both that I posted are universal and will fit any breaker box.

I don't know how he could tell, but the pool guy said that the issues were caused by water physically damaging the electronics, not from an electrical surge. I will definitely look into these whole house surge protectors though. It seems like a good idea regardless. Thanks everyone.

All I can think of is that he must have seen some residual water or rust spots inside the control panel. Which should definitely be fixed under warranty because it should not leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.