Encore "Cool" Concrete Paint over Kool-Deck? (Rehab project from....)

Jul 21, 2015
Tempe, Az
Hi Folks

The weather is starting to warm up here in Phoenix, and the pool projects are beginning. I've got a well weathered, probably 20+ year old patio surface around my pool that is the old "Kool Deck" material. I've patched it in a couple places here and there, but the whole surface needs a revitalization.

I've been looking at 2 options (both include a heavy duty pressure wash and TSP cleaning, so figure that's covered) and remember these are going over the kool-deck texture.

1 - Painting over the existing surface with a patio / concrete paint like the Valspar outdoor stuff, with some of the silica in it for anti-slip.

2 - Applying the new "Cool Deck" polymer stuff - I like the "marketing" behind this stuff (it's cooler, last, yada yada yada) but it's **** expensive, about $800 for what I need versus about $100 worth of paint, and I have no way to know how to tint it to the color I want.

I just don't know how much I want to invest this year, if I'm going to come back in 2 or 3 years and have the entire thing re-surfaced professionally....

Thoughts anyone? other options?

Oh - second question - any of you use UGL Drylock as a surface paint for the concrete "Edge" around the pool itself? or should I just use regular concrete paint there too. My 'crete is getting a bit porous around the pool and I was thinking the UGL may help the longevity of it.

AS far as any delamination, maybe 2 or 3 spots that are about the size of a quarter. It's not in "bad" shape, but it's chipped, and scuffed, and there's a couple of cracks, bolt holes, etc that have been patched up over the years. I'm not looking for something to give it a "uniform" look, rather just give it a color refresher.

I'm leaning towards the Encore cool, even though it's 2 to 3x the price of paint, but it looks like that's a "one and done" option - I don't want to be out re-painting this darn thing every year.

BN

I bought some of this "Cool" product from encore about a year ago but I can't comment much because I haven't put it on yet. Still waiting for my concrete (long story).

Anyway, bought it in part because of all of the rave reviews that I have read about it. Do a search and you will find them. On this site and other places as well.

I think I've convinced myself (after talking to a buddy at work that moonlights as a contractor) that I'm going to actually go with either a paint or stain this go-around, and put the additional $600 or $700 difference from the cool deck towards a complete re-finish of the plaster and the pool surface in a year or so. This is only a short term fix (more cosmetic than anything) so I'm going to test out some different things.

Stay tuned

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.