Natural gas heater help

Splaker

Jan 17, 2016
Canada
Hi folks,

First time poster and new to pools! We bought our home early last spring and inherited an unground 32 x 16 lagoon shaped pool. The heater (Laars?) conked out on us mid summer after giving us a lot of trouble right off the start. We wasted hundreds of dollars trying to fix it.

Anyhow, we tried solar blankets but Canadian summers are hot and miss and so we'd like to get a new heater, leaning towards a N. gas. I don't know much about solar or other heaters - would they be worth a try? Heard the gas heats fastest and might be best for our climate.

The brands I see most often are Hayward and Raypack but others are available. Should I go with an electronic model or manual one? Should I choose one brand over others? Or is there much difference? We are willing to spend a bit more of the brand can give us more years and better reliability and overall cheaper service. I would also like to get a very efficient model.

So, having given some background, what would you folks recommend? Should I bother even considering solar? I am not too keen on the panels as I find them to be an eyesore... also, I have read that initial investment cost is very high.

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Welcome to TFP!

Raypak seems to be a crowd favorite on TFP as far as brands go. Generally, gas is used for quick heating, spot heating or special occasions and heat pumps are used when planning to keep a pool heated all of the time to maintain a temperature.

Solar panels can definitely heat a pool. South or southwest facing panels is a must, especially for your latitude. I don't know how well solar could work in your climate. Hopefully, some more "northern" folks can chime in on solar.

Thanks folks... the company that serviced my heater last year mentioned Raypack too.. typically mid to high 80s and low 90s aren't uncommon in July and August.. but some years it can be cooler...our summers are much like Michigan (I'm in neighbouring Ontario).

I just don't think we have the cash outlay to buy the solar.

How long should I expect the Raypack to last? Should I go with a manual or electronic model?

thanks!!

Manufacturers quote a unit to last 7-10 years but your mileage may vary with many factors involved.

Do NOT get the milivolt units. Many places don't even allow these units to be installed as they have standing pilot lights and it is a waste of gas. So get the electronic spark ignition. You won't be disappointed.

Raypak all the way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.