Cleaning & painting concrete deck

perryy

Aug 7, 2007
NC
I'm going to paint the concrete deck around the pool. It's never been painted. I'm considering the Quickrete Multisurface Concrete Sealer. They recommend cleaning first with their product called Bond Lock which cleans and etches. I'm concerned about getting some of this product in the pool water and i'm looking for a safer alternative. I will pressure wash the surface first. The Quickrete people suggested I could use tri-sodium phosphate; would that be harmful if it got in the water? The other alternative I've considered is bleach, to get rid of any remaining organic materials.
Also, does anyone recommend an alternative to the Quickrete Sealer? I'm not interested in an expensive process - just something I can paint on.

This is laborious, I know, but Stegmeier shows this as prep for existing concrete, granted, this is to use their Desert Deck, which you are not contemplating, but anyhow:

1. Remove any loose material from the existing concrete.
2. Pressure wash.
3. Acid wash existing concrete while deck is wet (never acid wash concrete when dry).
4. Pressure wash a second time.
5. Scrub deck with Tri-Sodium Phosphate to neutralize acid.
6. Pressure wash a third time.

As to the proper product for "painting", I'll get back to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.