Leaf Vac Thumping

I'm pretty new to this; I bought a house over the summer and it has a pool without much documentation. For the last six months or so I've been learning as I go, but I've run into a problem that I can't seem to Google. Below are some photos of the pool/equipment:
Equipment: http://imgur.com/a/JkInI
Pool: http://i.imgur.com/YwEVW2z.jpg

In the photo of the equipment (at the bottom of the album) you'll see a black device labeled "leaf vac." This device has started "thumping" occasionally during operation and also whenever it shuts off. When it shuts off it will spit a little bit of water sometimes as well. I've opened it up and cleaned the leaf basket throughout the last 6 months and it does it regardless of how clean that basket is.

I *think* the thump is coordinated with when it changes which floor jets (I'm not sure what their technical name is) are running. In the pool photo, you'll see white dots across the floor of the pool, each of those are jet systems that run sequentially to push debris towards the vacuum in the middle (I'm probably telling you what you already know, sorry.) I *think* the leaf vac thumps when changing which jets are running. Only a few run at any given time.

In case it is relevant, sometimes the jets on the top step (no other jets, though) emit air when first turned on.

I guess my main question is - is that thump just a normal part of operation or am I doing something wrong? It seems to be getting louder. Maybe I just need a new O ring? Maybe I need to flush some air out of the system?

I'm not really sure, but perhaps someone with that equipment can Weigh in for you. Sorry you haven't got an answer, but more importantly a welcome to the forum yet. Good to have you, and hope you enjoy it here. Good luck on this.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll most likely end up calling a local pool company - they charge $100 to come out for an hour and tell you anything you want to know about your system, care, etc. Probably a small price to pay if it wards off spending a lot more because of something I didn't know.

There's no good story behind the screen name, I had recently seen this sketch when I used it the first time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.