Solar Blanket Question

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
Due to a fountain, I do not really have a place for a solar cover reel without it majorly being in the way. How much of the pool has to be covered to benefit from a solar blanket? The reason I ask is because I'm considering buying a large blanket and cutting it into sections or buying several small blankets, just to make it easier to remove without a reel.

I've considered an automatic reel, but for the cost + cost for electric hookup and cover I'm not sure it is worth the money since I've never used a solar cover before. Thanks for your input!

Sent using Tapatalk

How much of the pool has to be covered to benefit from a solar blanket?
It should be approximately proportional to the area covered. So if you cut your heat loss by 50% with 100% coverage, 50% coverage would cut your heat loss by 25%.

I didn't have a good way to use a reel so I went this route: DIY Solar Cover Roller

Not exact... But our pool cover was cut into two pieces by my wife because she couldn't put it on when it was one cover. After her scissor work the cover only covered about 75 - 80 % of the pool. We had no trouble getting our pool to 95 degrees during the hotter parts of the summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.