Pool almost ready despite algae bloom

Nod

Jun 23, 2008
Nashville, NC
We went on vacation last week and when we came back, noticed algae forming on the bottom of the pool - there were patches of green film all over the bottom of the liner.

I waited a couple of days when I had off and began the clean-up. My wife had been put a couple 182oz containers of bleach in it when we got back to slow things down.

Anyhow - I added 3 bottles last night and brought my FC up to 11. I had run the #'s and found that there was no CC so that was a good sign. I guess from the colder nights and the chlorine my wife had added had all but killed what was in there. Anyhow, I brushed the walls, and have gotten most of the chlorine. The water is a bit cloudy, but I think the filter should clean that up.

Anyhow, if the temps hold up - we may be able to swim here next week in NC. Pool is in the mid 60's now.

I scrubbed all of the algae off of the walls and added some DE to my sand filter. Had to backwash 3 times so far and re-add DE, but it is just about clear. I actually got in the pool chest high with the water around 67. Can't wait for next week!

Ran the #'s just a awhile ago:

FC = 4ppm
CC = 0ppm
TA = 60
CYA = < 20 - even though I can tell the water is cloudy and has some in it when using the tube.
PH is 7.5

Not sure how my CYA is so low since it was around 50-60 at the end of last season. I didn't cover the pool, and I did do a bit of maintenance over the winter. There was quite a bit of rain and I had to drain some of the water when it would get to full, but didn't think it was over half. Anyhow, I have 25oz of CYA in a sock dissolving in the skimmer. Calculator calls for 50+oz to get me to 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.